[Durham INC] too many compelling reasons to oppose billboard industry's p...

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 14:42:47 EST 2009

I appreciate this thoughtful dialogue!

Dialogue that never needed to take place in Burlington, a clear advantage
for Durham. That advantage nets Durham some negotiation room, while it maintains
 our right to say no thanks. Not a bad position to be in, and it still hasn't
 resulted in an exact proposal from the billboard industry.

While there has been a pretty sizable opposition, without a solid proposal,
we still don't know what we're opposing. I don't think we should expect it,
but  since Fairway owns more than half the billboards in Durham, what if they
offered  to take them all down in exchange for one electronic board?

My point is that we shouldn't say yes or no until we know what the offer  is.

As to the Cree employee's letter in today's paper, I think we all want this
and every other Durham company to do well. It's wonderful that Cree hasn't
required lay offs as it produces LEDs for this billboard company.
But that business is being generated across a wide area, and any single
city, including Durham, won't have a significant effect on Cree's bottom  line.

It might be ironic if parts of these billboards are produced in one of the
few cities that won't allow them, but that wouldn't likely create sudden lay
offs at Cree. So in my opinion, the economic effect is too small to  measure.

A much larger effect that should be considered is our local restaurants.
Picture yourself a hungry I-85 traveler, you're about to spend money that will
support a local economy either in Alamance, Durham or Wake counties. You see a
general Durham boosting message like, "Voted #1 for foodies, pull off now and
 see why!"
Would you exit? And if so, would you pull into McDonald's or look  for one of
our Indian restaurants?

That kind of business might be the difference between a restaurant staying
open or closing, and be enough to help Durham keep it's status as #1 for
foodies, and maintain it's position as a great place to ride out a  recession.

To my way of thinking, that would have a greater effect on Durham's economy
than Cree's output. That's just one of the reasons why I'm still reserving my
opinion, until all the cards are on the table.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 1/19/2009 1:02:23 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,