[Durham INC] By-law changes (two versions)

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Mon Sep 21 22:49:05 EDT 2009

John,

I hope you attend tomorrow's meeting, I'm sure all your discomfort will be
removed if you do.
Had you attended an earlier meeting, you wouldn't call anything "quietly
inserted", as it was discussed openly. You weren't there, so you didn't hear
it,  so from your perspective perhaps it was quiet.

Tom incorrectly guessed it was to boost attendance, then you suggested it
would permit "a high priced law firm" to bring straw neighborhoods to X
number  of INC meetings, thereby gaining voting stature.
That's not a very good guess, John.
Without any change, a crowd of strangers could show up tomorrow and vote as
 soon as they paid dues. Anyone wishing to stack the vote would be against
mandated attendance, so the accusation makes no sense at all, besides being
a  low blow.

So neither you nor Tom attended the meetings where this was discussed, you
both guess incorrectly as to the reason behind the proposed change, then
condemn  INC based on your assumptions.

What you have proven is that you aren't well informed. How can  you explain
this issue to your respective neighborhoods, or vote with a  full
understanding?

Since you both missed the meeting, I can tell you it wasn't about "How can
we boost attendance?" as Tom assumed, it was "How can they understand what
they  are voting on if they didn't attend the meeting where it was
presented?".
Again, I didn't author this change, and stood pretty close to the fence,
before this conversation.

Frankly, this dialogue has demonstrated that to be informed, you really
should attend the meetings.
Sure, participating on the listserv, visiting the website, will make your
neighborhood better informed than the neighborhood that doesn't, but to be
best  informed, the monthly meeting is very important.

That's the ONLY reason attendance is being considered. To make sure
delegates like you two are better prepared to explain things at your  neighborhood
meetings.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 9/21/2009 7:59:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,