[Durham INC] Durham-based company looking for a full time software developer --

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 17:28:59 EST 2011

AJE, a Durham/Duke based scientific editing company is looking to hire a full
time software developer. You would get stock options, which is a definite bonus
considering it's a new company that was recently written up in Nature (very well
known scientific journal). I work for them as a scientific editor and have only
good things to say. I work completely from home and make my own hours.

See the job description below.

If you would like to apply for the job, please let me know (and provide me with
a brief description of your experience and your CV so that I can formally refer
you.

Good luck!
Melissa (Rooney)

Job description: We are looking for a full-time software developer to help AJE
support existing software and create new business offerings by creating new
software for the academic publishing industry. The appropriate candidate will be
comfortable and experienced with PHP, SQL and JavaScript.

Job requirements:
• At least four years of PHP development experience with a database backend
(MySQL preferred), as well as a thorough understanding of HTML creation in a
non-WYSIWYG text editor. Don't be afraid to apply if you have less than four
years but are good at what you do.
• Comfort with writing complex SQL queries to retrieve and manipulate data sets.
If you are frightened by JOINs, aggregate functions or group-wise max/mins, you
might want to rethink wanting to work for us.
• Comfort with using the UNIX command line. While it is rare that you will need
to write a bash script, you may need to use git via the command line.
• Experience in writing JavaScript and asynchronous JavaScript. It's 2011; JS is
no longer the enemy.
• Experience with entrepreneurial environments is a positive.

The ideal candidate is an intelligent, ambitious, creative, enthusiastic, and
hard-working individual with good communication skills who is capable of working
independently but also enjoys working with a team.

Compensation includes salary, bonus, and future stock options. This is a
demanding and rewarding position with a high-growth company. This job is a
springboard to learn entrepreneurship and business skills by working directly
with experienced entrepreneurs. The position is in the Durham, NC area.
Applicants who live in the Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill areas or are willing
to relocate are welcome to apply.

Type: Full-time
Work Eligibility: US Citizens and Permanent Residents only