[Durham INC] Charter School Bill

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 23:33:11 EST 2011

Thanks John. Then I think we should require charter schools to provide free
lunches and transportation AND provide them with the funding (equivalent to what
DPS gets) to do so.

The important thing is leveling the playing field so that DPS and charters can
start working together rather than against each other.

Regardless of lunches and transportation, I would hope that Charters and DPS
would agree that both should:

• Require    all teachers to be licensed in the area they teach. (NCAE    has
been informed that teachers whose licenses have been revoked by the    state are
now employed in charter schools.)

• Report student    test data as part of the charter school’s test data in cases
when a    student transfers from a charter school to a traditional public school
within 45 school days prior to administration of EOG or EOC testing. And vice
versa.

• Identify and    disseminate best practices from charter schools, correlated
with student    achievement, for possible replication in other traditional and
charter    schools.

If Charter supporters refuse these requirements, and feel they have good reasons
to do so, then why are we requiring them of our other public schools??

Melissa