[Durham INC] why South Durham is what is getting developed

Barry Ragin bragin at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 20 09:48:52 EST 2011

Randy - your first email said:

"But one great thing that seems untapped about North Durham is there is
an abandonedrailspur that runs to Roxboro that would make the first
great connection ofthat area to downtown by high-speed rail. And all the
density you couldwant to build around it is there for the building
because most of thatland is undeveloped. It would change Durham if this
plan was executed.Thegeographic density base would shift outside of the
City to an area thatcould be planned. They'd say... "you can even see
Durham from out hereona clear day..." as the ride the high-speed rail
into Durham in 12minutesfrom Roxboro."

At about 27 miles between the two downtowns, that's an implied average
speed of nearly 125 mph, or near the lower bound of what we usually
think of as high speed rail. You want high density development along the
corridor? That's at least 6 stops along the route. Transit oriented
development with walkable communities and car-free, or at least not
automobile centric neighborhoods? Now you're looking at a stop every 2.5
- 3 miles.

Still think you can make that commute in 12 minutes? Even if you keep
boarding time to 90 seconds per stop, 8 stops gets you 12 minutes of
idle time already.

We could certainly invest several hundred million dollars bringing the
"unused rail corridor" between Durham and Roxboro up to contemporary HSR
standards. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. There's only one way to
find out.

But it seems to me that if the desired outcome is transit oriented
development heading north of the city, with a goal of maintaining or
even reducing vehicular traffic volumes on our existing roadways while
accommodating a 30% or 40% increase in population, we could accomplish
those ends by putting a more community scaled transit system based on
streetcars along existing corridors that serve relatively
under-developed sections of the city. Unless the pawn and used tire shop
lobby is stronger than i think, there's a lot of room for better
development along Roxboro Rd. from I-85 to the city line, or along east
Main St. out to Miami Blvd.

In fact, except for people who might own parcels of that undeveloped
land along the rail corridor, i can't think of anyone who would benefit
from driving development away from existing infrastructure. It's not
like we need any additional half empty strip malls surrounded by acres
of unused parking lots along north Roxboro Rd. or any other part of the city

Barry Ragin