[Durham INC] Water conservation

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 21:25:24 EST 2011

We are all aware that we are in a drought. I would like to have mandatory
water conservations put in place and enforced year round for households as
well as for businesses and industry in Durham and throughout the state of
North Carolina.

There are a number of reasons I believe that it would be a good idea to have
measures permanently in place, or at least indefinitely.

1. I think that after people start to conserve water than they might get
into the habit and than continue to following these water saving measures.
For suggestions that households and individuals may take to save water see
the attachments.

2. It is difficult to keep up with when the measures are in place and when
they are not so having measures in place all the time would make them
consistent.

3. People will be able to feel their savings throughout the year which could
lead them to realize that they are contributing to making a difference.

4. Industry is the major user of water so putting an emphasis on them is
simply logical. Industry could be encouraged to develop processes that use
less water in their production of goods and services.

5. I believe that businesses need to pay their fair share of the cost of
using water and not receive any sort of subsidies which could be seen as
discounts. Using water is part of company¹s normal operations wherever the
company is located.

6. Conserving water could lead to development patterns that will follow
smart growth.

Laura