[Durham INC] Durham considering 'Development Agreements': Why isthis a bad idea?

Ed Harrison ed.harrison at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 11 20:32:25 EST 2011

The document for which Mike gives the link is the end-all and be-all
of current NC literature on development agreements. Its author is
David Owens, not David Lawrence. Both are two of my favorite faculty
at the School of Government.  It's not at all hard to confuse their
names.   Professor Lawrence, now officially retired, is the state's
expert on city-county merger, open meetings, public records, and many
other issues of interest to his fellow Durham County residents.
Professor Owens is one of two zoning experts at the School, and is a
very clear and compelling speaker.  And he can work on contract on
occasion.  The most notable recent occasion was the first half of
2009, when the Chapel Hill Town Council hired Owens to help negotiate
a Development Agreement with UNC-CH for the new campus in Chapel Hill.

In that case, all parties -- including the public -- came to agree
that a Development Agreement was the way to go. One major advantage
for the public, in the context of Chapel Hill's development process,
was that a DA is a legislative process, not the quasi-judicial Special
Use Permit process always used previously for projects of any
significant size in CH. Because the mayor and council were not sitting
as "jurors" in the case, there was no such thing as "ex parte
communications."  There was a full and open flow of information and
opinions between all parties for the entire time. I'm big on giving
the public access to documents as soon as I see them, so I continually
made sure that folks were seeing versions of the DA rapidly. I hope
that any other DA process in which I'm part, or any that Durham
governments might do, have more time for folks to catch their breath
than  my Council  had in dealing with the UNC-CH trustees. (I would
also have appreciated it if the chairman of that board hadn't referred
to my alma mater in Durham as "the evil empire.").  Throughout the
process, I was glad that David Owens was working for the town and not
the university.

There are probably shorter reads on the School of Government website
than the book from David Owens.  The shorter versions are probably
also by David.

In any case, I'd recommend that people not categorically dismiss
Development Agreements. There are circumstances in which they might be
the best way to go. At the moment, I can't think of any in Durham
County, but there may be future cases which parallel the new UNC-CH
campus in some way. I can't envision many which involve the private
sector, because one major assumption that both parties have to accept
is that a development will happen.  In the case of some rezonings, I
don't believe this assumption is  warranted.

Ed Harrison

Durham County resident