[Durham INC] please feel free to distribute to you listserves

M. W. Shiflett - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 6 15:09:21 EDT 2011

Website - http://sites.google.com/site/durhamseniorsstayingput/home

      SENIORS STAYING PUT
     June 2011

      An Aging-In-Place model serving 8 contiguous neighborhoods in west central Durham:

      Trinity Park, Trinity Heights, Walltown, Old West Durham, Watts Hospital-Hillandale, Old North Durham, Duke Park, Northgate Park.

      SSP Launches Its First Issues Forum:

      " HOME MODIFICATIONS FOR AGING IN PLACE "

Staying Put in your own home is not always easy as we age. Unexpected health issues, falling accidents, or just aging necessitates adjustments and compromises in lifestyles. How do we get by when we cannot drive ourselves to the grocery store or take long walks alone to stay physically fit?

SSP is launching the first in a continuing series of talks that address issues and concerns that seniors might have when trying to stay in their own homes as they age. The first forum in this new series is scheduled for Monday, June 20, from 7 - 8:30 pm at the Watts Street Baptist Church.

This topic offers a hands-on workshop on how to make your home safer and more user-friendly for yourself and older friends. SSP has invited some home modification experts to share their special knowledge,

field your questions, and make suggestions that you can take home with you. There is no charge for admission and no sale pitches. This will be a dialogue with these experts who can offer tips and suggestions for making your own home more accessible and livable for you and your loved ones as you age.

SSP intends to host a series of workshops where we can all share our own experiences with the challenges and joys of getting older and discover and discuss solutions together. Every three months, we can get together to grapple with specific problems and learn from each other how to deal with them. We may sometimes call upon experts; sometimes pool ideas and exchange useful tips among ourselves.

Of Special Interest:

Fu t u r e SSP Quarterly Workshops Planned

Topics may include:

                        ·Later Life Legal Issues

                        ·Nutrition Issues

                        ·Mysteries of Medicare

                        ·How To Find Temporary In-Home Help

Seniors Staying Put is a neighborhood-based volunteer program helping seniors and others to live in their own houses and communities as long as they are able with a little help from their friends!

For more information:

Tel. 919-530-1697