[Durham INC] Bull City Connector

Ed Harrison ed.harrison at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 7 18:10:51 EDT 2011

Being on the "Partners" Committee for Chapel Hill Transit (with reps
from UNC and Carrboro) had given me a fairly good education in what
slows buses down, along with asking lots of questions of staff. It
didn't prepare me, when on the TTA board, for the sort of challenges
which bus drivers on regional-length routes face in "mixed
traffic" (buses, trucks, cars, those pesky pedestrians crossing
streets but not taking the bus...) . Anyone taking the bus from the
middle of Durham to the middle of Chapel Hill needs to account for the
fact that the bus route is a continuous loop between two points about
12 miles apart, with something like 25 stoplights. 5 minutes is barely
late for a regional route. The problem that Pat and I have with CH
Transit is drivers who sit at the east end of the route in our Durham
County neighborhood for 5 minutes after the schedule says they're
supposed to leave.

Based on the stats I saw today at TTA -- which also showed stats from
previous years -- that agency is probably most on-time transit
operator in NC.  The reputation they have for performance is what
makes Kevin believe that their involvement in DATA would translate to
better performance there. With the amount of study that TTA staff have
envisioned for DATA over the next year, I'd expect better on-time
performance after a while.  Comparing Raleigh's R-route (with which
I'm familiar through Raleigh Council colleagues on the TTA board) to
the BCC may not be accurate, as the BCC route is plenty complicated.
Any traffic movement involving a university campus can be complicated,
based on experience with the 19 bus routes that cross the UNC campus
daily.

As stated much earlier today, concerns about the BCC, a DATA service,
need to go to Durham officials. Mike W can confirm the City Manager's
commitment ot excellence in all aspects of DATA, especially its first
"free" service.

Ed