[Durham INC] Mixed Use Update

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 07:51:10 EDT 2011

I was looking at the Mixed Use Update website (http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/planning/mixed_use_update.cfm) and noticed this paragraph:
Mix of Uses – A development that promotes a mixture of uses within a centralized area is often seen as a key component of smart growth. But what does it really mean? What does Durham as a community want? And how do regulators and developers provide the assurances that stakeholders desire? Does the size of the development matter? [Italics and underlining added]
This is makes is sound like neighborhoods are just passive "stakeholders."  Is that how we are seen?  Is that what we want to be?