[Durham INC] HOA legislation? or groups wanting legislation?

Deborah Christie dchristie1 at nc.rr.com
Tue Jul 12 14:05:05 EDT 2011

Hi Christine,

The NC Planned Community Act ("PCA") Chapter 47F of the NC General Statutes - http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/StatutesTOC.pl?Chapter=0047F) already does much to guide HOAs and their members toward better relationships.  Some provisions of the PCA override conflicting HOA Covenants, depending on when the HOA was created (pre-1999 or post-1999).

Sorry to hear that you feel your HOA is not enforcing your Covenants in a fair way.  I know from personal experience that this can happen.  Many of us know that being an HOA board member can be an emotionally difficult experience.  I have learned that strict enforcement of small infractions is sometimes not worth the fight.

We all know that getting along with one's neighbors can be challenging.  One can easily be surprised at how neighbors interact.  Every neighborhood can have members who are difficult and divisive.  The key for me is to keep the tone civil and empathetic, and at least not escalate the conflict.

We all know that It is not unusual for people to sell and move because they are unhappy with their neighbors and/or their HOAs.  Some folks just do not want to live under Covenants and resent anyone telling them what they can or cannot do on their own property.  Sometimes this is a good solution - gives folks a fresh start.

I hope you can find a way to keep the peace in your neighborhood.  Maybe you will volunteer for a board position yourself, or encourage others you respect to do so.

Good luck -

Deb Christie