[Durham INC] 1/4 Cent Sales Tax increase

Richard Ford rbford at aim.com
Sat Sep 24 09:08:06 EDT 2011

Thanks to the proposed resolution sent this morning, this is the first time I realized that the funds raised by the 1/4 cent increase are not dedicated to education.

Is this correct?? Does anyone know why this was not done?

The 1/2 cent tax is dedicated in the question itself to be used for transit.

In Orange County a 1/4 cent tax increase is on the ballot for education and economic development.  The Commissioners there passed a ten year resolution dedicating the funds.

Money being infinitely fungible, the absence of a binding dedication is a negative, especially compared to the transit tax and to Orange County.

There may be a dedication that I could not find. I would like to be able to explain this to my Board. Perhaps it will be covered Tuesday night.

Dick Ford