[Durham INC] Pauli Murray Exhibit at Duke Chapel (now until Nov 21)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 18:43:28 EST 2011

PAULI MURRAY EXHIBIT @ DUKE CHAPEL
November 1-21

Fifteen years before Rosa Parks refused to stand, Pauli Murray refused to sit in the back of the bus; 20 years before the Greensboro sit-ins, she organized restaurant sit-downs in the nation’s capital.  Decades ahead of her time, Pauli Murray not only lived on the edge of history, she seemingly “pulled it along with her.”  One hundred twenty-three years after her enslaved grandmother was baptized at Chapel of the Cross Episcopal church, Pauli Murray returned as America’s first female African-American Episcopal priest to celebrate her groundbreaking communion there.  A champion for civil and human rights, Pauli Murray’s struggles and insights resonate powerfully in our times.

Born 101 years
 ago, Pauli Murray was a part of a special generation, the children of the first African Americans born in freedom. She and so many other great leaders of her generation embodied the dream for a better life as proud citizens in a land of democracy. The strong thread of human rights activism stitches together all of her accomplishments as an educator, historian, social theorist, attorney, poet, and Episcopal priest.

Celebrate her history: create our future. Be inspired to continue her work in our struggles for equality and justice for all.

The Pauli Murray Exhibit was created by the Pauli Murray Project and Hidden Voices. Special thanks to Duke Chapel for support of this project.

Duke Chapel Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

More about Pauli Murray Project... http://paulimurrayproject.org/