[Durham INC] [dukepark] Speak Up for Food Trucks!

TheOcean1 at aol.com TheOcean1 at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 14:51:02 EDT 2012

While much of the proposed changes appear to target food trucks only, there
 are many benefits for Durham in regards to other types of businesses -
such as  the pit bull puppy sales we've seen taking place on property owned by
an out of  state property owner - who is likely unaware of the trespassing
vendor.

While our progressive city was first to embrace the food truck concept, we
are also faced with drawing the fine lines to ensure public safety and a
truly  thriving food industry. For example, we want to support Durham ventures
such as  Only Burger, but should discourage such bootleg operations as
someone selling  homemade food from the trunk of their car. Only Burger, and the
other legit  trucks, shouldn't need to compete against such illegal
operations.

Hope someone will double check, because I don't think the goal is to keep
legal food trucks from that area near the Farmer's Market - perhaps all
that's  required is permission from the special event. That wouldn't be much of
a  hurdle, since many of the events contact the trucks and request their
participation!

It may take some tweaking, but Durham will be well served by the proposed
new rules when we have them perfected.

Bill Anderson

In a message dated 7/6/2012 12:15:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,