[Durham INC] FW: Downtown Open Space Meeting Invitation

Will Wilson willwilsn at gmail.com
Fri May 3 10:52:06 EDT 2013

All,

Please note that the "Downtown Open Space Plan" is a different beast
from the "Urban Open Space Plan." As the UOS plan was being pushed,
downtown interests successfully pulled the downtown core out of the
urban open space issues and concerns that the Open Space and Trails
commission had. INC also passed the resolution included below regarding
urban open space, and I hope the INC will keep these aspects in mind for
the DOS plan. We should be making sure that green roofs, street trees,
green facades, and green stormwater control measures all come into play
in the downtown core.

Thanks,
Will Wilson

A Resolution by the InterNeighborhood Council of Durham on Urban Open
Space Plan Objectives

WHEREAS, the Durham City and County Planning Department is undertaking
the development of an Urban Open Space Plan, which should provide the
City with proper guidance for further decision-making processes,
including possible acquisition/preservation or development of those
areas deemed important to Durham’s quality of life and our environment; and

WHEREAS, general open space planning has concentrated on aesthetic,
recreational and wildlife benefits, and (as shown in the background
below), with urban open space we need to add health, social and
environmental benefits; and

WHEREAS, Durham has a certain amount of ad hoc data laying out issues
and opportunities for open space in downtown Durham, but nothing like
the scientifically designed collection that other cities are doing; and

WHEREAS, many neighborhoods have a stake in downtown Durham, and the
recent history of Old North Durham Park has shown that these interests
can conflict;

NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the InterNeighborhood Council of Durham
by its delegates duly assembled that the Durham City/County Planning
Department’s development of Durham’s Urban Open Space Plan should
1. Carefully consider the environmental health and justice aspects, in
addition to the more traditional aesthetic and recreational aspects.
2. Create an environmental health survey detailing the above issues
3. Pay close attention to process and governance issues to manage /
minimize conflicts over the resources.
This _25th_ day of
_____October____, 2011
Thomas R. Miller