[Durham INC] FW: Notice for Comp Plan Amendment A1300001 to go before the Elected Boards June 3rd and 10th.

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue May 28 18:01:42 EDT 2013

Thanks, Will.
http://durhamnc.gov/ich/cb/ccpd/Documents/DPC/Agendas/2013/April/A1300001.pdf
A lot of the 8M is the zoning maps to incorporate changes voted on by the governing bodies.   Some departments have requested changes to the plan to reflect what they are now doing.  In particular:NIS narrowed focus on vacant buildings to those in violation or dangerous to neighborsLonger emergency response targets from the fire departmentLonger EMS response targets
There is a report by a couple planning students at UNC on demographic and other factors affecting land use.  I thought some was "planning fashion statement," but it's worth reading (especially if you are looking for arguments about proposed development (-:).  Here is the executive summary.  I especially like the last item.  Sorry about the lousy formating. Demographic Trends and Predictions
1. Seniors are the fastest growing segment of the population. The growing population of
retirees will have less interest or means to live in traditional retirement communities.
Providing services to elderly who prefer to stay in their homes or to incentivize
development of senior housing in urban areas in walkable distances to services will
become important.
2. No clear racial or ethnic majority. Minority populations tend to live in
multigenerational housing and use public transit at a higher rate than non-Hispanic
White populations. Preserving a wide range of housing options (sizes, types, price
points) that are connected to jobs via public transit will become an even higher
priority.
3. Generation Y, 15-32 year olds, represent the largest segment of the population. People
in this generation tend to want to live and work in areas with lots of urban action and
amenities. Incentivizing mixed use, urbanized neighborhoods with parks, restaurants,
nightlife, and common areas and a mix of rental and for-sale housing will be important
to attract and retain young people. Transportation Trends and Predictions
1. The use of single-occupancy vehicles will continue to be the dominant form of
transportation. Existing land use patterns will limit the overall efficiency and viability
for many people to commute by walking, biking or using transit. Investments in smart
street technology could reduce congestion and improve roadway conditions.
2. Various transportation alternatives, such as public transit and cycling, will gain market
share due to changes in land use patterns and personal preferences. Focused
development and redevelopment along transit corridors and in Compact
Neighborhood Tiers will induce more transit ridership, especially if the Light Rail and
Commuter Rail systems are funded and built.
3. New technologies could change travel habits. If electric cars and self-driving cars
become more prevalent they could have an important impact on land use. By reducing
congestion, emissions and eliminating the manual effort of driving, traveling further
distances might less onerous.
Energy Trends and Predictions
1. Durham’s growing population combined with a national trend toward increasing
electricity use will necessitate increased electricity-generating capacity. This increased
demand could be partially met through the promotion of renewable energy
technologies, as well as increased energy conservation due to green building and
retrofitting.
2. Renewable energies will continue to gain market share as they become more costcompetitive
due to economies of scale and cost-cutting innovations. The prices of wind
and solar energy technology have fallen dramatically in the last decade, and they are
expected to be nearly cost-competitive with fossil fuels in the near to mid-term.
Permitting and regulations may need to be reworked to deal with increased public
demand.
3. Green building and energy retrofits should help to lessen per capita demand for energy
in the future. Many companies are realizing the financial and health benefits of green
building and are choosing to build based on those considerations. However, as
previously mentioned there are still many policies that government can pursue to
further encourage green building.

Communication Technology Trends and Predictions
1. The proliferation of quality telecommunication equipment will enable growth of athome
workers. This will result in decreased congestion during peak commuting hours
and decreased need for office space.
2. The increase of internet-enabled devices will result in a rapid increase in population
data and increased mechanization of tasks. This increase in data could enable more
efficient and informed decision-making provided the data is used wisely. Increased
data-gathering could be harnessed with information technology advances to make a
smarter city.
3. Increased smart phone usage could be a draw for downtown tourism. Smart phone
apps enable information relay that couldn’t be easily relayed to tourists otherwise.
This could enable Durham and other cities to draw in more tourists, and thus greater
revenue.

4. Online retail will continue to grow, taking market share from some (but not all) brickand-
mortar retailers. Some industries such as publishing and electronics will be
particularly hard hit and will most likely transfer operations online. In terms of general
trends, retailers will likely cut back on building costs by demanding less total retail
space, especially in out-of-the-way fringe areas. This could impact the amount and
location of commercial land demand in the future.