[Durham INC] Fwd: 751 bill: public hearing at General Assembly on Monday

Will Wilson willwilsn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 11:09:25 EDT 2013

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 751 bill: public hearing at General Assembly on Monday
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:29:12 -0400
From: steve bocckino <ncbocck at mindspring.com>

It's show time and we need your help.

On Monday at 4 PM (location 544 LOB), there will be a public hearing on
Senate Bill 315, the 751 South bill, at the General Assembly in Raleigh.
We have a good chance of stopping this bill in committee, but only if
you care enough to drive to Raleigh and let the General Assembly know
what Durham thinks.

We need to fill the committee room with 50 smart-dressed men and women
(children, too). I know it's summer, but I'll be wearing a jacket and
tie. Tom Miller says, "Wear your pearls; no twigs in your hair!"

We need to woo 50 Republicans to our cause, and that means we need to
stay strictly on-message:

• The great power of the Old North State should never be used solely to
benefit two developers

•  We citizens of Durham need the help of the General Assembly

• Local land-use decisions should not be decided at the state level

• Meddling in local affairs from afar is bound to lack the on-the-ground
experience of locals

• The bill would force Durham taxpayers to pick up the tab for services
for many years to come

•  The bill would set an awful precedent, where legislators from miles
away are making local land-use decisions.

Environmental arguments would likely not play well with many of these
Representatives, and neither would ad hominem arguments. They might even
give them an excuse to vote against us.

I need a head count, so please RSVP–ASAP–with how many friends and
family you will be bringing to Raleigh, and if you are willing to speak.

Thanks,

Steve