[Durham INC] Dec 5 Injecting BB&T site, contaminated w/ dry cleaning chemicals, public meeting

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Tue Nov 26 21:15:41 EST 2013

Thursday, Dec. 5 Public Meeting regarding injecting the BB&T site, contaminated with dry cleaning chemicals

The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR)'s DSCA program is holding a public information session about injecting the BB&T site (now called One Hour Martinizing) at the corner of Club Blvd and Watts St. DSCA will make a presentation and question and answer session will follow.

My main concern with the injection is that the injection could cause the plume to spread and the concentrations levels to increase. The contractor, Hart & Hickman, has changed and the proposed injection locations have also changed since the Remedial Action Plan was adopted. If you are interested in reading the sections of the Remedial Action Plan (RAP) that deal with injection see the attachment.

Thursday, December 5

at the George Watts Montessori Elementary School's cafeteria from 7 - 8:30 pm.

I propose that interested people meet at the school about 6 pm to discuss questions (in addition to the issues raised below) and concerns. I do not know if the school will be open to the public prior to 7 pm. If not, and the weather is warm enough, we could meet outside of the school. Another option is to communicate among ourselves using email.

If you are interested in receiving monthly updates from Billy Meyer, the One Hour Martinizing project manager, write Billy directly at <billy.meyer at ncdenr.gov>.  Billy's most recent emails are below.

Let me know if you would like to learn more about this site in particular. I have decided to devote my energies right now on this site given what else I have on my plate.

I hope to see you at the information meeting on December 5th.

In addition to the One Hour Martinizing site, there are twelve additional PERC-contaminated sites in Durham County.

Laura Drey (pronounced "dry")

-------

------

-------

> From: "Meyer, Billy" <billy.meyer at ncdenr.gov>
> Subject: One Hour Marntinizing (formerly BB&T) Site Update November 2013
> Date: November 7, 2013 9:09:11 AM EST

All,
The November 2013 update is posted at the following location: http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/wm/dsca/one_hour_martinizingunder "One Hour Martinizing DC32-0013 (formerly known as BB&T Durham, NC" under "2013 Site Updates" and then "November 2013".  The update is in the same format with a cover memo which details project updates that have occurred since the October 2013 update and includes  figures and data tables used as part of the data evaluation.

I have attached a copy of the updated calendar schedule and it is also posted at:http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/wm/dsca/one_hour_martinizing.  It is located under "One Hour Martinizing DC32-0013 (formerly known as BB&T Durham, NC"  under "Updates" and "Remedial Action Plan Schedule".   The calendar includes a tentative schedule to indicate when activities are estimated to occur through January of 2014.

Also the following is a link to a webpage which instructs you how to review DENR reports online including the most recent “Soil Vapor Assessment Report” for October 2013:  http://www.ncdsca.org/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=ad727cf9-9dd9-4658-83bc-cfbb488abd6f&groupId=38361
The site ID, or value is "320013", with no dashes.

The following are the highlights of the November 2013 site updated memo (please read the memo as it includes illustrations and data tables):

Monthly Methane screening:  The methane levels have remained stable and pose no current health risk at this time.

Soil Vapor Sampling Results:   Soil vapor samples were collected from select locations to evaluate current subsurface conditions.  These conditions are documented in the report for which a link is provided above.  Soil vapor concentrations are the highest on the source properties and areas where high concentrations of PCE in groundwater have been observed.  Vapor concentrations have increased in 3 off-source property wells. Due to the limited number of sampling points it is difficult to determine the significance of these increases at this time. However as the results of continued vapor monitoring proposed in the RAP are evaluated, adjustments to the remedial approach and monitoring will continually be evaluated and communicated when necessary. The pre-injection soil vapor sampling event is tentatively scheduled for the week of December 16, 2013.

Indoor Air:  Concentrations remain stable with previous measurements and the associated risk continues to remain well below acceptable levels to occupants of the residences at 1419 and 1421 Dollar, and the church located at 1414 Watts.

EHC injection (remediation): Based on the groundwater concentrations recently in August and September, the injection zone has been modified to meet the objectives of the RAP (see attached update for modified injection zone).  This will require some off-source property injection onto the Triangle Family Church Property.  The DSCA program is currently negotiating with the property owner regarding the injection.  The EHC injection has been scheduled with an injection subcontractor for the week of January 6, 2014. Pre-injection sampling activities are scheduled for the week of Dec 16, 2014.

Public Information Session: A public information session is currently being scheduled to provide interested parties an update on the Remedial Action Plan.  This will likely be held in early December. The specifics will be released as soon as they are available.

If you have any questions about this email, the attached memo, schedule, or otherwise, please feel free to contact me. I also encourage you to pass this information along to any person or party whom might have interest.

Sincerely,
Billy Meyer