[Durham INC] council's decision regarding deer hunting

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 14:12:44 EST 2014

Yeah, Carol isnt a big fan of killing deer, period.
But given this occurrence, which is not an isolated one in this area of Durham, I hope that Council and the city manager will ensure that ample protections are in place for all urban residents and visitors.

 I would hate for someone's kid (or anyone) to be running through an urban homeowner's back yard and to be shot by an arrow bc some dude (or dudette) is casually shooting at deer off his/her back porch...such things have happened in other areas (my brother lives in Afton, VA, and his retired neighbor and his wife shoot deer from their back porch, which keeps me on guard when the kids are playing inconspicuously). I understand private property rights, but honest mistakes can be made and property lines are not always regarded, as we all know.

If the city hired a contractor to cull deer on a pre-specified and pre-announced and adequately publicized date, I wouldn't be too concerned, but the thought of private citizens doing this at will is still worrisome to me.

Gun, arrow, boomerang, the weapon makes little difference to me. If it can take down a deer, it can take dowa human.

Melissa