[Durham INC] Council, Commisioners adopt INC cell tower rules

Donna Rudolph pisco at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 26 23:57:43 EDT 2014

CAN A CELL TOWER POP UP NEXT DOOR?  Yes! Right now, in Durham, a cell tower
can operate in a residential area without notification of or input from
surrounding homeowners.  We are wireless consumers, but aren$B!G(Bt we also
residents who deserve regulations that engage us in balancing and managing
technology$B!G(Bs impact on the safety and quality of our neighborhoods?

TO CHANGE LOCAL CELL TOWER POLICY, SUPPORT the resident-friendly proposal
neighborhoods submitted to local policymakers. COUNTER official$B!G(Bs
push-back-to-change-comments at March hearings on 2014 priorities:
$B!H(BAdopting the neighborhood$B!G(Bs proposed wireless ordinance regulations is
time-consuming for planning staff and there are many other priorities.$B!I(B and
$B!H(BResidents making decisions will complicate doing wireless business in
Durham.$B!I(B

SPEAK OUT NOW OR STAY SIDELINED. Before April 1, urge city council and
county commissioners to adopt the neighborhood-recommended cell tower
regulations as a 2014 priority.

E-mail six City Council members & Mayor Bell:
<mailto:council at durhamnc.gov> Council at DurhamNC.gov  Or send mail or fax to:
City Council members, Office of the City Council, 101 City Hall Plaza,
Durham, NC 27701  Fax 919-560-4835

E-mail all five County Commissioners:  <mailto:commissioners at dconc.gov>
commissioners at dconc.gov Or send mail or fax to:
County Commissioners, 200 East Main Street, Durham, NC 27701, Fax
919-560-0013

City Council / County Commissioners: I urge the adoption of the
recommendations for the regulation of wireless communication facilities
proposed by The InterNeighborhood Council (INC) of greater Durham, and
request their integration in Durham$B!G(Bs City-County Unified Development
Ordinance as a 2014 priority. Sincerely, (your name & address)    -You can
include any of these talking points or your own reasons-

$B-!(B    Durham$B!G(Bs residents deserve to be informed about and engaged in the
decisions and regulations that determine how, why, and where wireless
services are delivered in our residential zones.

$B-"(B    Adopting the neighborhoods$B!G(B proposal to regulate cell towers in
residential zones aligns with city and county strategic plan goals, namely:
strengthening the quality and enhancing the value and livability of
neighborhoods, and fostering informed public engagement.

$B-#(B    Both city and county want quantifiable outcomes to goals.  Impressive
numbers will be well-served by resident-friendly wireless regulations.  The
vast majority of the 282,000 city and county residents (your constituency)
is affected by this issue today and going forward.

$B-$(B    Durham$B!G(Bs dynamic growth (9% in 5 yrs) is attractive to the wireless
industry; it can thrive here as in other venues with regulations that engage
citizens.  As a good business partner the industry should be willing to
answer residents$B!G(B questions and concerns in the format of a public hearing,
and should expect to work within residents$B!G(B safety and aesthetic
requirements

$B"*(BACT in this critical window of opportunity for change! Comments? Contact
Donna Rudolph, Eagle$B!G(Bs Pointe representative to the InterNeighborhood
Council of greater Durham, 8002 Somerdale Dr, Durham NC 27713,
<mailto:pisco at nc.rr.com> pisco at nc.rr.com
3/26/14