[Durham INC] Spend the Year With Duke Homestead

Rogers, Julia Julia.Rogers at ncdcr.gov
Fri Mar 28 13:13:35 EDT 2014

Duke Homestead State Historic Site is proud to announce its 2014 Calendar of Events. Beginning with our Community Yard Sale in April and continuing through Christmas by Candlelight in December, Duke Homestead offers new and interesting ways to get hands-on with history all year round.

Continuing this summer will be the Duke Homestead 2nd Saturdays event series. From June to September, join us the second Saturday of each month for day-long, family friendly, free events. Each 2nd Saturday event focuses on a different theme related to Durham and Duke Homestead. The events are as follows.

Bull Fest: June 14th
Celebrate Durham's historic roots and experience the modern art, music, and food of the Bull City. This special event focuses on the Dukes' early tobacco business on the homestead and life for the family in the 1870's. All the vendors, artists, and crafts persons are Durham based. 10 am - 4 pm Free

Pork, Pickles, & Peanuts: July 12th
North Carolina's food culture and food history take the main stage at one of our most popular events. Each year we not only crown a new champion in our BBQ Cook-Off, but a new 1940's style Tobacco Queen as well. Visitors browse and buy from local BBQ Sauce makers, peanut and pickle vendors, and even get to crown their own people's choice from our Cook-Off competitors. 10 am - 4 pm Free

Summer Children's Festival: August 9th
Kids get to travel back in time as they get hands-on with history in the Duke house by trying out 19th century games and toys and trying on historic clothing from our costume trunk. Popular children's band, Baron Von  Rumblebuss is an annual favorite performance. 10 am - 4 pm Free

Harvest and Hornworm Festival: September 13th
We finish out the summer by inviting our visitors to participate in traditions that helped define and build North Carolina. Throughout the morning we harvest our yearly crop of tobacco and demonstrate curing at our historic curing barn in the morning. The day culminates with our Mock Tobacco auction - the last tobacco auction in Durham. Visitor favorites include our hormworm race, looping contest, and the debut of the Tobacco Queen. 10 am - 4 pm Free
For more information on 2nd Saturdays and all other Duke Homestead Events, go to DukeHomestead.org<http://dukehomestead.org/> or contact us via email at duke at ncdcr.gov<mailto:duke at ncdcr.gov> and by phone at (919) 477 - 5498. Duke Homestead is still registering participants for the Community Yard Sale on April 26th. All interested parties should contact Mia Berg at (919) 477 -5498 or by email at mia.berg at ncdcr.gov<mailto:mia.berg at ncdcr.gov>.

We hope to see everyone this summer,

Julia Rogers
Historic Interpreter
Duke Homestead State Historic Site<dukehomestead.org>
Julia.Rogers at ncdcr.gov
(919) 477-5498