[Durham INC] Partnership is Best for City/County Stormwater Solutions

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 02:22:54 EDT 2014

I am glad that Mr Williams is open to the formation of a City-County Stormwater Committee to guide and streamline all of Durham's stormwater management entities, so that they are truly collaborative and holistic partners, playing to each others' strengths while minimizing redundancies and, thus, any waste of public funds.

After reading his response, I have a few concerns/comments for members of the INC listserv:

1) I am always given the 'different rules and regs' line when I inquire about more partnership bw  City Stormwater Services and SWCD and the county.

Apparently these regs/rules don't prohibit worthwhile and sincere collaborations and partnerships with other entities, and they certainly should not prohibit a collaborative and holistic city-county (including the SWCD) approach to Durham's stormwater management.

2) I am concerned with the statement that the Little Lick Creek Watershed plan is necessary to satisfy new federal criteria 'in order for projects to receive funding under Section 319 of the Clean Water Act'.

What is the cost-versus-benefits analysis here?

In other words, how much funding does City Stormwater Services receive from successful 319 grants per year compared to the whopping $1.4 M that is apparently required to bring the LLC Watershed plan 'up to code' in order to successfully apply for 319 funds?

Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that Stormwater Services will be rewarded 319 funding even if a new LLC Watershed plan is obtained. These are grant applications we are talking about, with more applicants than awardees.

Furthermore, other Durham entities like the SWCD apply for the same 319 funding, and Durham City Stormwater Services has historically competed rather than partnered with the SWCD in this regard. Doesn't this seem to undermine the basis for obtaining the 319 funding in the first place? Who cares who gets the funding, as long as it is successfully used in Durham? The taxpayer certainly shouldn't.

3) The fact that at least these two entities (SWCD and city Stormwater Services) are competing for the same grants, often for very similar projects, constitutes at least one duplication. Thus, I am more disturbed than comforted by the statement that:

> In fact, a 2010 joint memorandum by the Durham County Engineering and Environmental Services, the City of Durham Stormwater and GIS Services Division for the Joint City-County Committee addressed duplication and determined there was none.

4) I am also concerned that the numerous orgs mentioned as essential to City Stormwater partnerships do not include the SWCD or Durham County Stormwater/Engineering.

This only strengthens my resolve that a city-county stormwater management committee is needed.

5) Furthermore, I believe it is our elected officials, not the EAB, who should determine whether and how a Joint City-County Stormwater Management Committee would be formed. One need only note Mr. Williams' comment that the SWCD but not Stormwater Services has a seat at EAB meetings to recognize why this is the case.

I am heartened by Mr Williams' prompt communication regarding this issue/request and look forward to reaching a conclusion that is best for all of Durham.

Sincerely,
Melissa (Rooney)

www.melissarooneywriting.com

Sent from my iPad