[Durham INC] Protest Petition Right Survives

Tom Miller tom-miller1 at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 17 20:24:37 EDT 2014

Dear Neighbors:

On Friday, the House and Senate conferees on Senate Bill 734 presented a
proposed committee substitute for the bill which made a number of
significant changes.  Among these was the removal of the provision which
would have repealed the right to file a zoning change protest petition.  The
conferees' proposed committee substitute was passed by both chambers and
ratified.  It has been sent to the governor for his signature.

I wish I could say with certainty what caused the conference committee
members to remove the protest petition repeal provisions from the bill.  I
have no inside information.  I cannot help but believe that your e-mails to
your representatives caused them to have a change of heart which they
communicated to the their leaders and to the conference committee members.
This is as it should be.  When the people communicate with their elected
representatives, those representatives should listen and then act with the
people's wishes foremost in their minds.

I am grateful to all of you who have suffered to receive so many e-mails
from me and to those of you who communicated the importance of this issue
not only to your representatives and senators, but to your neighbors as
well.  In the coming days, you may wish to thank your representatives and
senators for protesting your zoning protest petition rights.

The General Assembly has not adjourned and it is still possible that some
action adverse to the protest petition right may be proposed and adopted.  I
will do my best to observe and to keep you informed.

Tom Miller

Durham