[Durham INC] Beyond form-based code

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 07:36:12 EDT 2014

I think the structure of our zoning code (area, form, performance, etc.) can be flexible, but Tom is right about keeping our eyes on the process.
I've been reading E.B. White's One Man's Meat, a collection of essays written for a magazine column between 1938 and 1943.  It's pretty comforting to read his thoughts on Nazism and Stalinism abroad and cynicism and defeatism at home in our time of Putinism and Caliphate-ism and ebola and all the rest.  Anyhow, one of the essays is a meditation on government/economic forms in which he says what the "common man" has always just wanted a "sense of participation."  Nazism and Communism offered the "participation" in the sense of being a particle in a powerful cloud.  Admittedly, traditional private enterprise, "our scapegrace yet beloved system of profit and spoils," didn't offer much in the way of participation (and modern global capitalism now just offers opportunities to participate in the downside of the economy (-:).  What White is skeptical about with the New Deal is that bureaucrats are now making some of the decisions, but what the "common man" is seeing time-consuming forms to fill out and people poking into his private business, but no new participation, leaving him "uncomfortable and suspicious."
I think Durham's planners have been mostly OK, but also think the planning profession is moving in dangerous directions, based on the behavior of the consultant on form-based design in Chapel Hill.  Planning students are apparently being told that NIMBYs are bad, not learning that NIMBYs (such an ugly word) are mostly responding to BEARs (Build Everywhere Anything Rapidly).  Planning students are apparently being told that they will represent "the public" but, at best, they will represent "good design" because no number of earnest little meetings are going to give them the tacit knowledge that neighborhoods have about the details of a terrain.  They learn to get all huffy about the inefficiency of citizens coming in at the last moment with concerns, not apparently figuring out that citizens coming to them is a whole lot better than their joining Agenda 21.
So yes, by all means, look at performance standards might be used (tho we would have to be careful that we keep on the legal base for zoning, which is a policing power?), but it is probably more important to continue working on process and culture that brings out the most public participation.
Regards, pat