[Durham INC] New Zoning Threat and Proposed INC Resolution

Tom Miller tom-miller1 at nc.rr.com
Tue Mar 3 17:34:09 EST 2015

Until a rezoning deprives the owner of all reasonable value  or practical
use, regulatory action is not a taking.  A rezoning can add market value or
reduce it.  Neither is compensable.  This idea applies to all property, not
just real estate.  If the government commandeers your car for the war effort
or some other public purpose, it must compensate you for it.  If it severely
restricts where you drive it (public streets), how fast you drive it (speed
limits), or whether you drive it at all (driver's license) these actions
affect its value and use, but none of these regulatory actions is a taking.
The US Supreme Court settled this question early in the last century and
since rarely even takes a case based on zoning - only when something really
novel comes along - and when it has taken a case, it is only to apply the
well-established rules.

Both WHH cases were challenged in court and when the NC Supreme Court ruled
against the landowners in the first case, the landowners in the second case
dropped their suit.  In both cases, the rezonings restricted what the owners
could do with their property and they lost market value.  In one case the
property was rezoned from office and commercial to single family and in the
other case the land was rezoned from multifamily to single family
residential.  When the rezonings were over, though, each owner's land could
be practically used as rezoned and each property had reasonable value.
Instead of motels, office buildings, restaurants, apartment buildings, and
banks, they could use the land for single family homes.  Zoned for that
purpose, the land had value not unlike other property in the area similarly
zoned.  Because of this, the court ruled in favor of the city and the
neighborhood defendants.  Value is an issue only when all reasonable value
and use are taken.