[Durham INC] W. Cornwalls Properties Development: Pls stop further 751-type encroachments on Durham's hard-worked sustainable planning

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 10:14:14 EDT 2016

Dear Mayor Bell and City Council members,

Due to other commitments, I am regrettably unable to attend the city council meeting this evening to oppose, in person, the current plans for development by W. Cornwallis Properties.

Given my disillusion and heartbreak over the outcome of the 751 S fiasco, I have not been involved in development issues since.

I thought that the cost of 751 (in time, money and community) would have at least enabled Durham government to close the barn door once the horse got out. Looks like a whole herd of ‘em are coming if we don’t close it soon. And, if we start the process now, we may just have a state-legislature majority that truly believes in grass-roots rights and government on the local level.

If this development is for truly affordable housing, then I could perhaps stomach it, with some binding commitments and alterations to benefit surrounding properties. However, these developers have shown little interest in establishing true affordable housing.

Sincerely,
Melissa (Rooney)

RIP Bill Anderson