[Durham INC] write and attend the City Council public hearing on 6/6/16

don lebkes dll-sjl at frontier.com
Mon May 30 11:23:40 EDT 2016

Neighbors, and Neighborhoods of Durham

Please WRITE A LETTER OR EMAIL to City Council members expressing YOUR CONCERNS about the proposed Pulte development.  Since the April 4 City Council meeting Pulte Homes has made some small additional commitments. They have done this without any input from our community.  Our Community has now felt that we needed to retain an attorney to help us protect our area of Durham.   We need a BIG LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN and a BIG TURNOUT AT THE JUNE 6 CITY COUNCIL MEETING to have a chance of defeating the rezoning to allow Pulte Homes' proposal.

The City Council on 4/4/2016 has voted to accept the recommendations of their Planning Commission and not approve the change in the future land use map. This zoning proposal,  Z1500031, is inconsistent with the Comprehensive Plan  and the Unified Development Ordinance, as the Planning Department will state in their report.  This zoning case  has failed at the Planning Commission.   Because of these reasons alone it should fail at the City Council..

The concerns residents have expressed are:

-inconsistency with the Durham Comprehensive Plan
-poor transition between our neighborhood and the development
-potential flooding in our neighborhood
-design inconsistent with the surrounding neighborhood
-increased water, air, and noise pollution due to clear cutting and loss of trees
-traffic congestion and safety

Please write about the issues that most concern and affect you.

Although you may have written the Council members before the April 4 meeting, the City Council has been busy with other issues and we need to remind them of our concerns.  The developers will try to persuade City Council members that their minimal modifications are enough, and we have to persuade them that many of our concerns have not been addressed.

City Council names and contact information:

You can ADDRESS LETTERS to City Council members at 101 City Hall Plaza, Durham, NC 27701, or you can get home addresses for some Council members at the City Council Members page:   http://durhamnc.gov/1396/Council-Members

EMAIL

Mayor Bill Bell, bill.bell at durhamnc.gov
Mayor Pro-tem Cora Cole-McFadden, cora.cole-mcfadden at durhamnc.gov
Council Member Eddie Davis, eddie.davis at durhamnc.gov