[Durham INC] End Gerrymandering Lobby Day, March 1; No Wall, No Ban Rally Jan. 31 ; Moral March Feb. 11; Sen., Cong. & Pres. Contact info; Audit 45's Finances; Diagnosis Mr. Trump

Laura Drey lauradrey at ncrrbiz.com
Tue Jan 31 14:15:27 EST 2017

Progressive issue groups administrators and staff member, activists, progressives and liberals across the state,

The attachment has US Senators and their committees plus the President’s (45*) contact information for lobbying. (I plan on adding US Congressional Representatives.)

Rally this afternoon, and Moral March on Feb. 11 (see below).

Poem attached was written by a friend of mine.

Together we’re strong.

———-
Join us March 1 at the NC legislature for the Citizens Lobby Day to End Gerrymandering. <http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=8eCziOKV3TDZYDjXKZRN3jOCbUyjlk6s>
This special Lobby Day brings together citizens from all across the state on Wednesday, March 1, beginning at 9 a.m. at the N.C. General Assembly. It’s organized by the NC Coalition for Lobbying & Government Reform, an unusually broad coalition that includes such groups as Democracy NC, Common Cause, State Employees’ Association, and John Locke Foundation! We all agree: we must end gerrymandering.

The purpose of the Lobby Day is simple: Speak directly to your state representatives and tell them why they should support a nonpartisan redistricting process. An independent commission could:

	•	Help end partisan gerrymandering;

	•	Prevent costly litigation and special elections; and

	•	Allow voters to pick their political representatives, not the other way around.

Up to this point, both Democrats and Republicans have taken advantage of their redistricting power by drawing maps that benefit the lawmakers in power. However, this year leaders from both parties are calling on their fellow legislators to adopt legislation that would finally create a nonpartisan process to draw our electoral maps.

Click here to let us know you'll be with us on March 1. Once registered, the coaliton staff will contact you in the coming weeks with a Citizens Lobby Day toolkit and help connect you with your representatives. <http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=wIn7axLkP39T0LuHZkh%2F%2FykV1cgKULWN>
Check-in on March 1 will start at 9:00 a.m. at the 1300 Courtyard inside the Legislative Building at 16 W. Jones Street, Raleigh. (It’s okay if you can’t make it by 9:00 – folks will be there to greet you throughout the morning.) Please sign up now [emphases added].

Onward!

Bob Hall
Democracy North Carolina

www.democracy-nc.org <http://www.democracy-nc.org/>
P.S. Can’t make it to Raleigh on March 1? That’s okay. Sign our petition in support of independent redistricting and we'll deliver the message for you. <http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UULt4DDKk3QCGdNIBcUOfikV1cgKULWN>
———

I suggest adding yourself and/or group to the Democracy NC’s list serve
info at democracy-nc.org <mailto:info at democracy-nc.org>

———————

From the Ad Hoc Resist and Support Group at Duke <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_nowallnobanresistandsupportatDuke_&d=CwMGaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=vIW-AAGAsHYbzVqcvx_pGB10AgsSD2T4y9ggOhA8wURjDG751f-_ZzyQtyyp4Fow&m=KwpXXLchhQ1PUTtxNnaqxohD2C9XOxT0n_UbGTh5njI&s=vY_1QwazlJhSJQcTQauqDqWDUR8MNr0lkJCzXbqrLj0&e=>:

Tuesday, January 31 at 5:15pm

No Wall, No Ban Rally

Duke Chapel Steps

Since the inauguration, we have seen an unprecedented wave of resistance to executive policies implemented by the fascist administration under Trump's presidency. Recent developments include the ban on Muslims from seven countries and further restrictions on the travel of refugees and migrants into the United States. Hundreds have been detained, questioned, and stranded in airports, here and abroad, and families have been torn apart…. There is a long U.S. tradition of using law and policy for racialized and ideological bans against different groups. We know this is only the beginning for this administration as the most marginalized in our communities are subjected to these vicious laws. Now is not the time to be silent or stand idly by [emphasis added]. We are gathering on Tuesday evening to protest the new administration and policies that target us and those we love, to make our message heard loud and clear—#NoBanNoWall <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_hashtag_nobannowall-3Fsource-3Dfeed-5Ftext&d=CwMGaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=vIW-AAGAsHYbzVqcvx_pGB10AgsSD2T4y9ggOhA8wURjDG751f-_ZzyQtyyp4Fow&m=KwpXXLchhQ1PUTtxNnaqxohD2C9XOxT0n_UbGTh5njI&s=zoEWbTKgxW5ebG-NeL0pSDWgxMiGFE7pavrZfQaJhts&e=>—and to stand in solidarity with one another and all those affected.

A number of speakers will address the community, after which everyone will have an opportunity to share their thoughts during an open-mic setting. Bring your best chants and signs! #Resist <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_hashtag_resist&d=CwMGaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=vIW-AAGAsHYbzVqcvx_pGB10AgsSD2T4y9ggOhA8wURjDG751f-_ZzyQtyyp4Fow&m=KwpXXLchhQ1PUTtxNnaqxohD2C9XOxT0n_UbGTh5njI&s=hjanb-mdJpyUH4LYm_YJmKZifLJPOkIF4gej-MV4GTg&e=>
https://www.facebook.com/events/1424298837583316/ <https://www.facebook.com/events/1424298837583316/>

The Duke University Middle East Studies Center and Duke Islamic Studies Center supports events that increase awareness of the history and cultures of the Middle East and Muslim civilizations, and values diverse perspectives that promote dialogue and understanding.… The listing of an event does not constitute endorsement of or agreement with the views presented therein.
Julie Maxwell, Program Coordinator, Duke Islamic Studies Center (DISC) 919-668-1955 <tel:%28919%29%20668-1955>
—————

Moral March
The countdown is on for the 11th Annual Moral March — coming up on Saturday, Feb. 11 in downtown Raleigh.… RSVP now and let us know you'll march with Democracy NC. <http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QBqSWzdwuERyhgoEKhG%2FFW3P6WYtftuP>

Also known as the “Historic Thousands on Jones Street People’s Assembly” or HKonJ, this yearly call-to-action led by North Carolina's NAACP brings together NAACP branches, youth councils, college chapters, members of over 200 social justice organizations — not to mention thousands of justice-loving people from across the state and nation to stand against attacks on the people of North Carolina....

This is our chance to take literal steps against the state and national forces plotting to use lies about so-called "voter fraud" to create laws that silence vulnerable voters.

Beginning today, we’ll be flooding social media with a 15-day countdown to this incredible event, as organizations and individuals share why they'll be marching in 2017.

Help spread the word on Facebook <http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=YpPKIgiPO0pC513fop0E%2BW3P6WYtftuP>, Twitter <http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3lZCxoJyXw9uDWFp2OHISG3P6WYtftuP>, and Instagram <http://org2.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Cle%2Bm%2FwUSxZpORY1nQaid23P6WYtftuP> — or by simply forwarding this email to invite friends and family to join you on the March [emphases added].

Onward!

Jen Jones
Democracy North Carolina

————

Direct action

Simple and easy to support Senator Warren’s request to audit President Trump's* finances

​If you want to support Senator Warren's request to audit President Trump's finances for conflicts of interest,
here is a 1 minute action you can take right now.  The person answering the phones at the Comptroller General
of the Government Accountability Office says the most effective way to be sure your support is counted is to email two administrators:
·       Katherine Siggerud  siggerudk at gao.gov <mailto:siggerudk at gao.gov>
·       Timothy Minnelli   minellit at gao.gov <mailto:minellit at gao.gov>

 <mailto:---congrel at gao.gov--->Sample text:
Re: Audit for President Trump's financial concerns
Dear Ms. Siggerud / Mr. Minnelli,
I’m writing in support of Senator Elizabeth Warren's request for an audit of President Trump's finances, to prohibit conflicts of interest that would prevent him from carrying out the responsibilities of the office without corrupt influence.

​Please provide your address in the email.​

——

To witness for yourself empty links (as Jan. 30) see 45’s
Financial disclosures: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/disclosures/financial-disclosures <https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/disclosures/financial-disclosures>

——————-

Writers and doctor’s articles

George Lakoff link to what he said about the Women’s marches and Trump’s Inaugural address:
https://georgelakoff.com/2017/01/22/the-womens-marches-and-the-politics-of-care-the-best-response-to-trumps-inaugural-address/ <https://georgelakoff.com/2017/01/22/the-womens-marches-and-the-politics-of-care-the-best-response-to-trumps-inaugural-address/>

And a listing of Lakoff’s books. https://georgelakoff.com/books/ <https://georgelakoff.com/books/>

———

Terrifying Diagnosis Of President Trump by Johns Hopkins’ Top [snowflake] Psychotherapist
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3518401/posts?page=62 <http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/3518401/posts?page=62>

——-

Recommendations of authors, journalists and/or magazines? Thanks.

Poem attached in its original form.

Laura

* 45 is a term that can be used to refer to Mr. Trump without using his name or title.