[Durham INC] DPS school cultures and lack of substitutes..

Melissa Rooney Writing melissarooneywriting at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 12:55:22 EDT 2017

Please see my letter to the Herald Sun editor regarding the subject line of this email: http://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article144364904.html <http://www.heraldsun.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article144364904.html>

I know, first-hand, that DPS has excellent schools, but I also know first-hand that DPS has schools whose cultures are not conducive to new, enthusiastic full-time teachers, substitute teachers, and real parent and community involvement.

Thank you to all those who completed the survey compiled by myself and other DPS parents last month. I am hopeful that it will give DPS the impetus to conduct their own survey regarding parental input and inclusiveness at individual DPS schools.

I’m not looking for an indication of how DPS schools are doing, in general. I’m looking for those who have felt intimidated, unwelcome, or discouraged from being involved in their schools, particularly those middle and high schools where parent/community involvement is needed most. Until DPS looks at this ugly side of some of their schools straight in the face, these schools (and, more importantly, the students who pass through them) are going to continue to suffer.

If you have ever had any concerns regarding parent/community welcomeness and inclusivity at any DPS school (now or in the recent past), please send a quick email to school board members to let them know that I and other LGMS parents are not alone.

Here’s an email address that goes to all school board members: boe at dpsnc.net <mailto:boe at dpsnc.net>

Thank you,
Melissa

Melissa B. Rooney, Ph.D.