[Durham INC] DCABP Thursday, June 15th 2017

DeDreana Freeman equitableequality at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 08:57:49 EDT 2017

FYI - Henry McCoy of the DCABP  shared.

LET’S MAKE JUNETEENTH 2017 COUNT THIS YEAR IN DURHAM June 2017 marks the
152nd anniversary of JUNETEENTH.  In 1865, over two years after Black
slaves received their freedom through the Emancipation Proclamation, word
finally reached those most disconnected.  Yet, can the African American
community ever have full freedom without economic freedom?  In the years
following emancipation, Black Durham built an economy unprecedented
anywhere in the world.  But how economically free is Black Durham in 2017?
This question impacts everything from our housing, kids’ educations,
health, political power, and more.  We will explore this question through
an exploration of the powerful economic history of Black Durham, our
current economic state, and what needs to happen for Black Durham to
rebound economically in this New Durham economy.  You are cordially invited
to attend “Building a Durham Economy that Works for All” on Thursday, June
15th from 6:30-8:00pm, at the Hayti Heritage Center. All public officials
are invited as well as those running for office. Community members from all
across Durham will be in attendance. This historic convening will include
leaders representing DCABP, Durham CAN, People’s Alliance, DCIA, and other
community voices as a part of the conversation.  We hope you will join us
for this critical discussion.

Regards,
DeDreana Freeman
Durham NC 27701