[Durham INC] Durham Recognized for Performance Management Leadership

PublicAffairs PublicAffairs at durhamnc.gov
Tue Jul 11 09:31:43 EDT 2017

[Title: City of Durham logo]

CITY OF DURHAM
Office of Public Affairs
101 City Hall Plaza
Durham, NC 27701

News Release

News Media Contact:
Amy Blalock
Public Affairs Manager
(919) 560-4123 x 11253
(919) 475-7735 (cell)
Amy.Blalock at DurhamNC.gov<mailto:Amy.Blalock at DurhamNC.gov>
http://Facebook.com/CityofDurhamNC
http://Twitter.com/CityofDurhamNC
http://Instagram.com/CityofDurhamNC
http://YouTube.com/CityofDurhamNC

For Immediate Release: July 11, 2017

Share! #Durham one of only 25 to win @ICMA Certificate of Excellence for its performance management leadership: http://bit.ly/2tDPTHm

Durham Recognized for Performance Management Leadership
One of Only 25 Jurisdictions Win Certificate of Excellence

DURHAM, N.C. - The International City/County Management Association (ICMA) is recognizing the City of Durham for its data-driven management and reporting efforts with a 2017 Certificate of Excellence in Performance Management, the highest level of recognition awarded.

Certificates are based on established criteria and are awarded at three levels: Achievement, Distinction, and the highest level of recognition, Excellence. Recipients at all levels collect and verify data to ensure reliability, train staff in performance measurement, and report data to the public through budgets, newsletters, and/or information provided to elected officials. Durham is among 25 jurisdictions receiving the Certificate of Excellence<https://icma.org/node/21097/>, and one of 57 recognized overall.

According to Budget and Management Services Director Bertha Johnson<mailto:bertha.johnson at durhamnc.gov>, winning this award clearly demonstrates the City's strong commitment to being an innovative and high-performing organization. "We make every effort to develop meaningful performance measures tied to our programs and services and to use that data to make operational decisions, allocate resources, and hold employees accountable," Johnson said. "I'm proud that our organization won this recognition, and I hope our residents are pleased that their local government has been recognized for our sound leadership, for our demonstrated commitment to being transparent with them, and for being excellent stewards of their tax dollars."

Certificates of Distinction are awarded to those who also provide comparative and benchmarking information to the public, use performance data in strategic planning and operational decision-making, and share their knowledge with other local governments through presentations, site visits, and other networking activities.

Certificates of Excellence go to those who also track and report key outcomes, survey residents and local government employees, incorporate data into performance dashboards or other visual communications, and foster the development of a performance culture throughout their organizations.

"Performance management is a bedrock principle of professional local government management," said ICMA Executive Director Marc A. Ott. "By recognizing these leaders, ICMA hopes to encourage others to make a commitment to collect and analyze data, report it transparently, and use it to continuously engage their communities and improve their organizations."

ICMA will officially recognize Durham and the other recipients at its 103rd Annual Conference later this fall, and in the October 2017 issue of PM<https://icma.org/public-management-pm-magazine> magazine.

For more information about Durham's performance management efforts contact Strategic Initiatives Manager Josh Edwards with the Office of Performance and Innovation in the Budget and Management Services Department at (919) 560-4111, ext. 20102 or by email<mailto:Josh.Edwards at durhamnc.gov>.

About the City of Durham Budget and Management Services Department
The Budget and Management Services Department<http://durhamnc.gov/199/Budget-Management-Services> is responsible for the development and oversight of the City's annual budget<http://durhamnc.gov/209/City-Budgets> and Capital Improvement Program (CIP)<http://durhamnc.gov/223/Capital-Improvement-Programs-CIP>. The department is also responsible for performance management, continuous improvement, and strategic planning. Guided by the City's Strategic Plan<http://durhamnc.gov/183/Strategic-Plan>, which the department established and maintains, the department helps to ensure that the City of Durham is an innovative and high-performing organization by working with City departments to build and implement performance measurement monitoring and evaluation.

About ICMA
ICMA<http://icma.org/>, the International City/County Management Association, advances professional local government management worldwide through leadership, management, innovation, and ethics. ICMA is second only to the federal government in the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data focused on issues related to local government management. Through expansive partnerships with local governments, federal agencies, nonprofits, and philanthropic funders, the organization gathers information on topics such as sustainability, health care, aging communities, economic development, homeland security, and performance measurement and management data on a variety of local government services-all of which support related training, education, and technical assistance. ICMA provides support, publications, data and information, peer and results-oriented assistance, and training and professional development to more than 11,000 city, town, and county experts and other individuals and organizations throughout the world.

###