[Durham INC] Fw: [cwneighbors] Verizon service availability in Colony Woods

r-goggles broken888 at riseup.net
Thu Aug 17 11:52:07 EDT 2017

Having spent a number of years building the network that Verizon uses now, I can tell you with certainty that the fiber network between the towers is running at about 15% capacity at the present.

A tower that is congested with traffic is rarely solved with another tower, it’s solved with more gear (antenna) placed on the existing tower, and the odds of the gear that’s up there now being near capacity is slim.

Asking a person at the Verizon store about network problems is like asking the person behind the front cash register at Walgreens why the antidepressant that Walgreens pharmacy gave you makes you feel hungry all the time … im sure the cashier can come up with some answer for you 😊

The critical mass theory is bunk, the opposing tower theory would solve problems not cause them, and if we were not talking about colony woods, I would bet that 3 other people from your neighborhood didn’t come in with the same problem and that this too was BS.

I am just returning to the area after being gone for a decade or two however, the Colony Woods we are talking about is the one over to the Southern side of 15/501 going toward Chapel Hill ?  If we are / if I am correct about that, then I cant believe you haven’t been having problems for years – the area that is approx. a triangle between the intersection of Estes & Frankllin; the intersection of 15-501 & 45 in Chapel Hill; and the Blue Cross building is somewhat of an anomaly … tower/signal engineers all over the Southeast study that area as a sort of worst case scenario for cellular signal coverage.  Basically, the area has pretty much every characteristic one can have that causes problems for such signal and the available property for cell towers is unusually limited.

Again, if we are talking about the same place, my money is on network changes, not problems, causing you cell service issues.  Explanation for this is that, due to lack of towers, Verizon & ATT are always trying to supplement the towers with small antenna on buildings called DAS nodes.  Turning on new cellular access points in an area (or moving them even) causes all sorts of issues, as every phone that touches any tower in the area has to essentially re-learn which antenna to talk to and when/where to do so.  This decision for phones gets really hard when in a house and the phone cant even tell which antenna are where.

My advice – leave your phone somewhere outside for a few nights – like on a screened in porch or something.  Both phones we use, and the antenna they communicate with, are tweaking each other all the time – literally all day, every day, the are adjusting themselves to talk more clearly to one another.  This process works much better when the phone has stronger signal and can get its bearings.

Just my $0.02