[Durham INC] Experience and advice from Vancouver on accessory units

John Martin bulldurhamnc at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 23 09:15:17 EST 2017

Pat,
Thanks for a very interesting article.
I would be interested in seeing Durham consider something like this.  Unfortunately, the Old West Durham Neighborhood Protection Overlay appears to be moving in precisely the opposite direction.  I sympathize with their frustration at Jeff Monsein tearing down old houses to build boring, generic, oversized rental property, but while trying to stop him, they may be creating new unintended consequences.  Monsein has been arguing that the NPO will lower property values.  I think it will probably artificially raise them by restricting the supply of housing.  And the City should note that they will be artificially restricting the supply in a neighborhood that currently has a 2651 square foot house on the market for $685,000.  (And the house is under contract!)
John