[Durham INC] Fwd: DNU General

Susan Sewell mssewell2009 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 11:53:07 EST 2018

---------- Forwarded message ---------

Dear Friends,

Durham Neighborhoods United will be hosting the last general meeting  of
2018 on *Tuesday, December 4th , at 7:00 p.m. at the Lyon Park Family and
Community Recreation Center*. We realize that December is a very busy
month, and that you may already have other commitments, but we hope to see
as many of you as can join us on that night.

Overall, this semester has been highly unusual. Many legacy student houses
have been surprisingly quiet, while a few others have been surprisingly
active. We do expect to see an increase in activity in *all* of the houses
in January of 2019. Fraternity Rush begins on January 8th, and if last year
is any indication, we can expect to see at least *nine* parties during this
period.  While it is unlikely that we can stop these parties from
happening, we can work to *shorten their duration and severity*.  By
coordinate our efforts, we should be able to minimize the overall effects
of these parties.

Of course, minimizing is not solving, and our goal must be to solve this
problem. Next year marks the 10th anniversary of the start of many of these
houses, and DNU plans to observe this occasion  in many ways. One of our
goals is to create a timeline that will allow us to look at the evolution
and development of these legacy student houses, as well as to assess the
 success or failure of actions taken in response to them. Such an overview
should help us to reflect on the choices that we have made and shape the
decisions that we have before us. In order to avoid another decade of
disruptive parties, we have to make significant changes.

If you are able, please join us on Tuesday, December 4th. Thank you for
your support.

Sincerely,

Alisa Johnson

Chair, Durham Neighborhoods United