[Durham INC] So it can be done...

Beverly Tucker btucker2210 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 14:20:35 EST 2023

 Kane Realty withdraws North Hills rezoning plan for towers up to 37
stories By Anna Johnson Updated March 07, 2023 2:11 PM Kane Realty has
withdrawn plans for a rezoning request to allow towers up to 40 stories
tall. on its North Hills mixed-use shopping district land. Kane Realty has
withdrawn plans for a rezoning request to allow towers up to 40 stories
tall. on its North Hills mixed-use shopping district land. Kane Realty
Developer Kane Realty has withdrawn a plan to rezone part of its North
Hills property to allow towers up to 37 stories tall. “After giving it a
great deal of consideration, the applicant has decided to withdraw this
zoning case,” said Jamie Schwedler, the attorney representing John Kane
Realty. The Raleigh City Council had been scheduled to discuss the case
during its Tuesday night meeting. The News & Observer could not reach
Bonner Gaylord, chief operations officer for Kane Realty and a former
Raleigh City Council member, for comment early Tuesday afternoon. The
rezoning case has been before city leaders since last summer and has been
discussed in council committee meetings twice, The N&O reported in
November. TOP VIDEOS Neighbors, including former Mayor Nancy McFarlane,
have objected to potential traffic increases, the height of the proposed
buildings and a lack of affordable housing. Developers must wait two years
to resubmit a proposal or get a waiver from the City Council. What the
developers wanted The current zoning for the property, various tracts at
the intersections of Interstate 440 at Lassiter Mill Road and Lassiter Mill
Road at Six Forks Road, allows up to five- and 12-story buildings. The
rezoning proposal asked for the ability to go up to 12, 30 and 40 stories
with concessions for new bike lanes, bike share stations, land for a city
bus station and land to expand the nearby Raleigh Fire Station. The newly
elected Raleigh City Council was split on the rezoning plans. The rezoning
case was discussed during their first meeting as elected officials in
December, with developers asking to meet again in March after having time
to meet with the council members and make their pitch. ‘Disappointed,’ says
the mayor Council member Mary Black and Christina Jones held a meeting last
week to seek community feedback about the rezoning. Both said they had
concerns about moving forward, with many residents telling them to vote it
down. “I’m excited for the future of sustainable growth and development in
District A,” said Black, who represents the North Hills area. “We have
unique concerns that need unique solutions.” Maps Under the Microscope How
redistricting in NC can tip the balance of power here and in Congress. Read
More Gaylord and Raleigh Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin both said last week they
weren’t anticipating a vote to occur during Tuesday night’s meeting. “I am
disappointed,” Baldwin told The N&O on Tuesday. “We had plans for a transit
center there and to expand our fire house there. And now that throws those
plans kind of out the window and will end up costing us a lot more. So I am
just trying to figure out more details.” She’s hopeful, she said, that Kane
can come back “with something we can all agree on.”

 This story was originally published March 7, 2023, 11:34 AM. Profile Image
of Anna Johnson Anna Johnson 919-829-4807 Anna Johnson covers Raleigh and
Wake County for the News & Observer.