[Ohioaap-practicemanagers] Reimbursement for simultaneous "well visits + acute" clinic visits

Combs, Frank Frank.Combs at nationwidechildrens.org
Mon Apr 24 16:19:30 EDT 2017

Good afternoon everyone,

I apologize if someone has already addressed this.  This is a source of frustration for many practices.  UHC will sometimes tell practices that the reason they reduce the acute visit by 50% is because the provider only has to take the patient history and complete the exam once not twice.  Because of this some practices will see the patient for the acute visit and reschedule for the well visit.  Unfortunately, as you mention, this may mean a missed opportunity especially for our adolescent patients.

The CPT coding guidelines are silent to this interpretation that UHC is taking.  Coding experts will often recommend that you document the well visit and the acute visit separately and of course code the modifier 25 as you mention below.  This does not guarantee full payment for both however there are some payers that will reimburse fully for both (e.g. Anthem used to reimburse both).

I wish I could share better news.  Other practices may approach this differently, this has just been my experience.

Warmest regards,

Frank