[Ohioaap-practicemanagers] School based health clinic in our back yard

Jon Price jprice3 at columbus.rr.com
Wed Feb 7 14:03:56 EST 2018

I’m not aware of a pre-made letter on this.
My personal opinion is that
1)a joint communication from as many of your area’s pediatricians as possible should communicate with the medical director of the school district in order  to clearly work out a way to keep the school based clinic for the underserved and not to sever the patients whom you’re serving from their medical home. I would encourage you all to be imperative in your tone.

2) A fellow COCHF member summarizes basic problems between school clinics and medical homes as communication and as about responsibility for managing chronic problems in the summer and during school breaks.
    The following longer list of problems is from the Academy’s May 2017 policy statement “Nonemergency Acute Care: When It’s Not the Medical Home” published in Pediatrics. Though this list was devised for retail clinics and urgent cares without pediatric expertise, most of the problems apply to your situation. Feel free to use it.
  "It is important to develop and implement recommendations to avoid potential risks and unsafe situations, such as the following:
treatment that is not consistent with pediatric best practice;

fragmentation of care that is disconnected from the medical home;

lack of access to the child’s complete medical and social history;

lack of maintenance of a complete, accessible, central health record that contains all pertinent patient information;

treatment recommendations that do not take into account the child’s previous response to treatment, chronic conditions, special health care needs, and family circumstances such as social determinants of health (eg, inability to afford prescription medications, prescribing opioids in family with parental dependence);

missed opportunities for identifying unmet needs or delivering preventive services;

use of tests for the purpose of diagnosis without proper follow-up;

treatment of physical symptoms without recognition of a behavioral health illness or occult medical condition driving the symptoms;

failure to maintain an appropriate and predetermined scope of practice for the acute care of children in an acute care setting;

suboptimal care of children in an adult-focused delivery system, including under- and overutilization of diagnostic testing and medications; and

failure to appropriately transfer patients who would best be served in the medical home or in an emergency department."

3) From a practice management point of view , all measures of practice transformation so as to remain competitive in this environment are worth considering. Hints from the recent Pediatric Practice Management Institute conference in Charleston last month included providing early morning before-school appointments for middle school and high school well care (since parents often will not have their children miss after school sports, even for the doctor), being aware of the times of any long lunch periods in area schools for scheduling well visits, and to these I would add a question: any way you can get pediatric expertise involving yourselves and local colleagues into a contract for providing school based clinic care?
  Jon Price
  Ohio Pediatric Council Co-chair