[Ohioaap-practicemanagers] OH Medicaid COVID vaccine counseling payment problem

Michael Chamberlin mikechamberlinsoapm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 14:19:52 EDT 2022

When we counsel patients about COVID vaccine and the vaccine is not given
at that visit, we have been billing for this counseling since early April
as per the release from Ohio Medicaid. However, they are not paying this.
We only have Caresource patients.

We bill the 99401 cpt code with a Z71.85 (encounter for immunization safety
counseling) and Z28.82 (immunization not carried out due to caregiver
refusal).   Is anyone getting paid for this?  Which managed Medicaid?  Are
you using different codes than we are?

Thanks for your help with this,

Mike

Michael Chamberlin, M.D., FAAP