[MCIC Safety] FW: Question for the group: Oxygen sensors

Boswell, Henry hboswell at resinall.com
Wed Jan 9 09:31:10 EST 2008

I hope this helps.

Henry G. Boswell

Corporate Regulatory Manager

Resinall Corporation

P. O. Box 195

Severn, North Carolina, 27877, USA

Telephone:  252.585.1445 (800.421.0561)

cell:  757.651.5717

________________________________

From: Bridgers, Bobby
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 9:23 AM
To: Boswell, Henry
Subject: RE: [MCIC Safety] Question for the group: Oxygen sensors

We use a Multi-RAE PGM-50 multi gas detector manufactured by RAE Systems and a Biosystems Multi-Vision multi gas detector manufactured by Bacou-Dalloz.  Both units check for H2S, CO, O2, and LEL.  The PGM-50 also has a sensor for VOCs.  We use these mainly for confined space entry and hot work situations.  I have found that both units operate equally well for their suited chores.  Because  the PGM-50 has the VOC option, it is more pricy.  But as the old saying goes, 'You get what you pay for'.  Expect to pay just under $1000 for a good 4 gas detector, and add about another $1000 for the VOC option.  If all you need is a single gas detector, the price will be in the $200 - $400 range.  Being you stated you are checking the O2 in a flammable atmosphere, I would suggest going on and spending the little bit extra up front and getting a good quality 4 gas detector.

As for the question about the O2 concentrations in the headspace of a reactor, due to the nature of our business and our manufacturing process, we remove the O2 by pulling a vacuum on the reactor and replace it with an inert gas prior to starting a batch.  So the ideal O2 content would be at 0%.  As a firefighter, I know that usually fire is not an issue as long as the O2 content is below about 16%.  I do not know what is the reason for checking the O2 concentrations in the headspace of the reactor.  If it is for fire control, below 16% is a starting point.  If it is for confined space entry, OSHA mandates O2 levels between 19.5% and 23.5% under 29 CFR 1910.146.

Safety at our facility is first and foremost.  Over the last four years, we have been concentrating on, first, the big issues that are obvious to everyone, to now looking at the root causes, housekeeping, and other hidden issues that lye beneath the surface.  This has allowed our facility to go from between three to five OSHA recordables a year, to not having a single OSHA recordable incident in almost two years.  Making each employee feel like he or she is in charge of safety (in reality they are... I'm not a babysitter) has been the key.

Hope this helps.

"Safety shouldn't be something learned by accident"

Bobby Bridgers, MESH

Safety Coordinator

Resinall Corporation

302 North Water Street