[MCIC Safety] Question for the groups: Light duty/volunteer work program

Kareis, Michelle mkareis at Vertellus.com
Tue Mar 4 14:29:08 EST 2008

Has anyone ever heard of/participated in a program where employees on light duty were assigned to work for a local volunteer organization, within their restrictions, until the restrictions were lifted?  I was at a safety conference in Indiana last week and a company representative was presenting his program for doing this.  I wanted to know if anyone else had experience with a similar program they'd be willing to share.

Essentially, when an employee is returned to work with restrictions that prevent them from conducting their normal work (the plant was a parts manufacturer that works on a piece basis), the employer first verified the local volunteer agencies could work within the restrictions, then sent the employee to work there until the restrictions were lifted.  Some examples he gave were of individuals with lifting, bending, standing, or sitting restrictions.  The employees were assigned to things such as sorting books and clothes for the charity store, working in the food kitchen, or, in one extreme case, an employee who had one pound lifting restrictions in both wrists was assigned to read to children in the preschool program.  The volunteer agency appreciated the employee work, and the employees were returned to meaningful work much more quickly than they would have been otherwise.  Additionally, because the variety of work available was so significant, the company was able to almost completely eliminate restrictions resulting in lost time days.  The volunteer agency provided updates on employee time, attendance, and attitude (serious problems were reported daily, other issues were dealt with in weekly email or face to face communication between the safety person and the volunteer coordinator).  Employees were paid full salary.  The employer was required to provide a letter to the agency stating that the employees were covered under the employer's insurance and not the volunteer agency's.

The overall result was positive.  The employer received considerable recognition from the press for providing paid labor for the volunteer agencies, the employees appreciated being able to contribute in their community, and the agencies were extremely appreciative of having people there to help out.

If you've heard of or participated in something like this and have anything to add (pitfalls to avoid, suggestions, etc.), please let me know.  Feel free to forward this around to others who may have input as well.  I'm intrigued by the idea.

Thanks for your help.  Have a safe day!

Michelle

Michelle Kareis
EHS Manager