[MCIC Safety] FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS IN PLASTIC CONTAINERS

Dick McDonald dmcdonald at shurtape.com
Wed Aug 31 11:12:41 EDT 2011

We have been embroiled in a controversy over the approved size and type
of a container for a flammable liquid (Class I-B). We will be receiving
a flammable liquid in 55 gal polyethylene drums and so began a research
of the regs and standards and found a healthy conflict between OSHA
1910.106 and NFPA 30 - 2008. When asked, NC OSHA provided this attached
document which explains how they will treat the issue when doing an
inspection. It is an enlightening document which you may not have seen.

Hope all is well with everyone. It's been crazy here, which is the
reason that I have not scheduled any safety committee meetings. No one
is clamoring for them so I guess we're ok there. If anyone has an idea
or reason for a safety committee meeting please speak up.

Regards,

Richard J (Dick) McDonald

Safety Director

Shurtape Technologies, LLC