INC NEWS - more on the neighborhood challenge

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Sun Feb 27 00:31:28 EST 2005

I was talking tonight with another person who lives on another park in
town. I was telling him about the Forest Hills neighborhood challenge and
he said he hadn't heard about it.

For those of you who get this INC NEWS, would you just post my
neighborhood challenge to your neighborhood list server so the rest of
your neighborhood will know.  I'm sure there are representatives to this
list in just about every neighborhood in town. I think some folks in the
City administration are on this list as well. You guys, tell your boss we
want this park for our neighbors. It's a good thing to do that you can
point your finger toward.

Many of us have a park we frequent in our neighborhoods. They have an
opportunity to get one right now. Waiting will mean the land will be gone
forever. I don't know all the history of this piece of land that Duke owns
but has a contract to sell it to a developer. But I have heard about the
old road and the Indian encampments on the creek. There's even an old mill
on the creek somewhere. I have also heard about a stand of virgin timber
in this corridor. That means that those trees were growing where they are
now when this area was first discovered. I haven't ever seen alot of this
stuff myself.

EANG is going to do a 2 hour "talk and walk" on March 5th from 10-12 with
someone who knows a great deal about the history of this land that EANG
wants for a park. It's free if you want to learn more about the land and
why it should stay as part of the early history of this area.

I think this is going to be a huge message to everyone if other
neighborhoods join in this and help to get it as well. It may not amount
to much in the scope of things, but it will be a big jesture on those
neighborhoods who pony up. In fact, one neighborhood said they'd meet our
challenge and raise the challenge if you will. No telling where this idea
will lead. I even suggested challenging the INC to join the neighborhoods
in this challenge. And if you want to double it, find 25 buddies to throw
in $20 and you'll double your $500 to a $1000 just that quick.

Randy Pickle
Forest Hills