INC NEWS - Re: INC NEWS

Richard Mullinax rcmj at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 9 14:23:28 EST 2005

I agree with Melvin here. What is the budget to maintain this open space
over the next ten years at least? I know it will not be much, but I have
not seen it in any of the dialog about this park area.

It was proposed that $100,000 each is all that is being asked of the
City and of the County. What if it goes higher than projected?

I would hope that the land being offered to sweeten this deal will be
open space even if the whole tract does not go through. I am very
supportive of this group buying the land to protect the areas around
their homes. There is money available for this type project without
burdening our local tax collections. I wholly support asking for more
time for these neighbors to get the resources to buy this land. I also
would like to see Duke step up here and offer this to the communities.

PACII did not have this in its budget requests for this year. In no way
does this group have our support at this time to use City funds. I do
not remember one PAC group supported this item.

Duke Park is just now seeing the results of the commitment that was made
to upgrade it years ago. There are other parks in other neighborhoods,
like Old North Durham Park that have not seen the money being spent yet.
Take care of what we have first. Chris Boyer does not have current
funding to just maintain the trees in our parks. They have been on
deferred maintenance for years and are now starting to drop limbs on
power lines and adjoining property. This will cost the City more than
preventive maintenance.

We have two lakes in this area with very few homes on their shores. We
are blessed with open spaces unlike many other places. I think our
governments have done all they should to ensure this. If individuals
want more they are welcome to provide it themselves.

Richard

--
Richard Mullinax
921 N Mangum St