INC NEWS - DRAFT of March delegate meeting minutes

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 07:23:56 EST 2005

Inter-Neighborhood Council
Making Better Neighborhoods
www.durhaminc.org
Minutes of Meeting of March 22, 2005

REPRESENTATIVES PRESENT
Ronnie Griffin, Garrett Farms
J. Clinton Rogers, Dunbarton
Lugenia Mason, River Forest
Anne Guyton, Colonial Village
Phyllis Cotton, Emorywood Orchards
Joan Miller, Emorywood Orchards
Charles Phillips, Emorywood Orchards
David Johnson, Chandler-Breedlove
Josh Parker, Trinity Park
Lynwood Best, Dept. of Housing and Community Development
Don Stauffacher, Marquis-Pierre
Bill Anderson, Duke Park
Michael Shiflett, Northgate Park
Cheryl Sweeney, NPNA
John Dagenhart, Trinity Park
Vicki Schneider, Woodlake HOA
Matt Yarbrough, DBAC
Randy Pickle, Forest Hills
Pat Carstensen, Cross County

Introductions – President Bill Anderson opened the meeting.  Members
introduced themselves.

20th Birthday Bash – Last year we had twice as many people as expected at
the Neighborhood Heroes event, and this year we will also be honoring past
presidents.  We will need to do better at communicating invitations.  John
Dagenhart took on the job of getting addresses for past presidents so we can
invite them; Pat will send the current guess of the list to John, Anne
Guyton, Mike Shiflett and Bill.

Multi-Modal Transportation Center – There will be a presentation about it at
the April meeting because of concerns raised about its cost per square foot,
maintenance cost, and fit with the downtown landscape.

Durham Businesses Against Crime – Matt Yarbrough gave a presentation on the
history and activities of DBAC (http://www.durhampolice.com/dbac/). Some
things to do to make Durham safer:
1. Join Citizens on Patrol (COP) – couple hours / month of driving around
and looking
2. Join Partners  Against Crime (PACs)
3. Form / support Neighborhood Watch
4. Use Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) – Blockbuster
is least robbed chain because of how they design their stores.  Criminals
are looking to avoid hassles and won’t go where the environment is just too
transparent.  Police (Eric Hester) will assess your home or business for
CPTED.
5. Get involved in legislative efforts such as more funding for SBI labs to
reduce turn-around times on evidence, more uniformity on bonding, and more
judges, etc.
6. Support Eyes and Ears Program – Teach people who are routinely in
neighborhoods (taxi drivers, postal workers, meter readers, etc.) to be more
observant so they can report suspicious activities to the police.

Open and Green Space – There was an update on the Duke Forest / Complete the
New Hope Creek Puzzle efforts.   The issue shows that Durham needs to think
more systematically about preserving open space, entrances, and historic
lands. A letter to this effect was passed (see Attachment A) and will be
sent to council and the board of county commissioners.

Other Items
1. No-one had anything new to say about school impact fees.  Pat will send
out a request for people to be on a committee to investigate the issue.
2. No-one was available to talk about fire station siting.
3. Update neighborhood contacts info by e-mailing neighbors at durham-cvb.com
or calling 680-8328.  We will include this info in all agendas.
4. As of 3/11/05 we have $1044.28 in checking, $2224.46 in savings.  Randy
has 5 checks totaling $125 to deposit.  We approved Feb. minutes and
treasurer’s report.
5. UDO Committee needs to start meeting again.
6. CIP Update – It looks like there will be bond referendums for
transportation (paving streets and adding sidewalks), parks, and building
"improvements" (making up for deferred maintenance).  INC should probably
take some action to ensure that citizen involvement in this process happens
sooner rather than later.
7. Results-based Accounting Committees are looking at getting city / county
scorecards on whether Durham is making progress in the right direction.
They need more volunteers.  Committee 8 is looking at organized and active
neighborhoods and would like INC as a partner in helping in this area.  We
could do 1-on-1 help with new neighborhoods, skill-building workshops (e.g.
running effective meetings), and resources on the web site.
8. The yard waste letter was acknowledged by Cora and Diane.  The rumor is
the city has a list of possible alternatives they are moving on so we may
need more political pressure to get appropriate citizen involvement in
making the choices.
9. Dues are due and letters will be going out shortly.
10. Ronnie Griffin asked for support in opposing a proposed re-zoning that
would put 284 housing units on 32.7 acres on Garrett Road.  The high density
is supposed to be transit friendly, but is a long way from the future rail
right-of-way and getting to the current bus lines is dangerous.  Traffic in
the area is now bad (intersection is the 2nd most dangerous in Durham) and
will get worse with construction of new Mud Creek bridges.  There are also
problems from increased run-off to already flooded areas. The area also has
historic significance (there are over 700 identified archeological sites in
Durham but the locations are not public so most construction has a chance of
destroying something valuable).

The meeting was adjourned.

Attachment A: Open Space Letter

To:	Mayor Bill Bell
	Durham City Council
	Commissioner Ellen Reckhow
	Durham County Board of County Commissioners