INC NEWS - Duke decides on Central Campus

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Thu May 5 19:26:53 EDT 2005

folks,

At tonight's community forum, Academic Provost Peter
Lange announced that Duke will go with
University/College zoning for Central Campus.

This is truly wonderful news from Duke -- and truly
wonderful news for Durham.

Peter stepped into a difficult position and is to be
commended for his positive contributions to this
process.

University/College zoning for Central Campus is
something the partnership neighborhoods voted to
endorse in the Spring of 2003. The InterNeighborhood
Council voted to support Univ/College zoning in June
2004. Many, many people played critical roles
throughout this process and for that we will always be
grateful!

We will continue to keep a watchful eye on Duke's
retail plans and will work with Planning officials to
ensure the campus retail supports the academic mission
of the university (as outlined in the Univ/College
ordinance).

We can now move forward. We can now celebrate a great
and wonderful day in Durham.

all best,

John Schelp
Old West Durham