INC NEWS - yard waste issues forgotten

PBaker8667 at aol.com PBaker8667 at aol.com
Sun May 8 10:59:35 EDT 2005

Toward the end of his tenure in Durham I asked then solid waste director Al
Davis to craft a new yard waste plan.  He along with interim director Tom
Ayers did submit a proposal (key word here is proposal) for  implementation in FY
06-07 (next budget year).  The timing is due to the  plan's need for
additional equipment that would need to be purchased for the  increased services to be
offered.  The idea is that we buy the additional  equipment, trucks and carts
this year and put the program in place next  year.  We are still working
through the proposal.  There is also  the fundamental question of whether the
program should be rolled back into the  property tax rate or left as a user fee
and if so, do we make it mandatory or  optional.  I have my thoughts on that but
I can assure you that there  will be plenty of opportunity for public input
before anything gets  implemented by the City.  Bottom line is that this issue
has definitely not  been forgotten here in City Hall and you will be involved
in the process.

Patrick W. Baker
City Manager