INC NEWS - New national website re: neighborhood issues

csm2 at email.unc.edu csm2 at email.unc.edu
Fri Jul 22 12:52:40 EDT 2005

Hi,

I thought everyone on INC would have some ideas for and interest in this new
website.

Carrie

Coming this Fall:

WholeNeighborhoods.com

 illustration copyright Planning Comm'rs Journal
<http://www.wholeneighborhoods.com/tomorrows_planners.jpg>

Are you involved in neighborhood issues?

Does your city or town have active neighborhood associations or groups?

If you've answered yes to either of these questions, we think you'll be
interested in learning about a new Web site we're in the process of
developing: WholeNeighborhoods.com

-- but we could use your help in getting WholeNeighborhoods.com off the
ground by letting us know about your own neighborhood organization, or other
neighborhood groups active in your community. More on this in a minute.

First some background information on what we're planning:

Across the U.S. and Canada, neighborhood associations are doing some
interesting things. Some of this is highlighted in Lila Shapero's article,
"Bowling Together: The Role of Neighborhood Associations," in the just
published Summer issue of the Planning Commissioners Journal
(http://www.plannersweb.com
<http://r.vresp.com/?PlanningCommissioner/a22bf30036/367951/521363fa39/fba05
68> ).

But we've found few places online that report on what neighborhood
associations are doing -- and can do -- to deal with the broad array of
issues neighborhoods often face, many of which relate to local planning and
development.

In a nutshell, the objective of WholeNeighborhoods.com will be to provide
fresh news & ideas for strong, healthy, and whole neighborhoods.

Our target audience will be the members (citizens) of local neighborhood
associations, and others active in neighborhood issues.

What will you find on WholeNeighborhoods.com?

WholeNeighborhoods.com will offer news & ideas for strong, healthy, and
whole neighborhoods.

While we've just begun to develop the content, here is some of what we're
planning:

*  Every other month or so, we'll be focusing on a major topic. These will
range from how neighborhood organizations be inclusive in their membership,
to fundraising, to the range of "quality of life" issues they face (i.e.,
traffic, noise, crime & security, community gardens/art and so on).

*  We're also planning a regular feature called "Kiss, Your Neighbor," in
which PCJ reporter Bob

 illustration copyright Planning Commissioners Journal
<http://www.wholeneighborhoods.com/bikers-and-walkers.jpg>

Kiss talks about neighborhood residents who have made a significant
difference in their community. Bob will also report on neighborhoods that
are using local resources, talent, or geography in remarkable, imaginative,
or profitable ways.

*  "Healthy Neighborhoods," edited by Betsey Krumholz (who organized the
recent PCJ issue on Schools & Planning), will look at what sort of things
make for "healthy" neighborhoods: from parks & open space, to meeting the
special needs of young people and seniors, to promoting walking & biking,
and so on.

*  A section titled "Making Connections" will provide information about how
neighborhood associations can most effectively work with other
organizations, including local government, to make things happen.

Again, this is just a brief sketch of what we'll be covering.

We welcome your ideas and suggestions.

1. Do you have any thoughts on what might be most useful for us to include
on WholeNeighborhoods.com? We still have flexibility in organizing our
coverage, so now's the time when your input can really make a difference.

2. If you or your neighborhood group is interested in contributing an idea
or success story, or if you know someone we might find interesting to speak
with or learn about, please let us know.

3. Are there organizations or people in your community we might send this
email message to? If so, please let us know who to contact. Better yet, we'd
welcome your taking a minute to forward this email to people you know who
might be interested in what we're planning.

You can either email or call Betsey Krumholz: betsey at wholeneighborhoods.com
or 888-475-3328 (toll free in the U.S., or 802-864-9083), OR use the
feedback
<http://r.vresp.com/?PlanningCommissioner/784f22237c/367951/521363fa39/fba05
68>  form on our Web site.

p.s. if you go to WholeNeighborhoods.com
<http://r.vresp.com/?PlanningCommissioner/cdba2f787a/367951/521363fa39/fba05
68>  right now, you'll essentially find a "place-marker" for the planned
site. But we have posted there excerpts from Lila Shapero's PCJ article,
"Bowling Together: The Role of Neighborhood Associations." Feel free to take
a look (if you're a PCJ subscriber, you'll find the full article inside your
copy of our Summer issue -- now being mailed out).

WholeNeighborhoods.com | P.O. Box 4295, Burlington, VT 05406
info at wholeneighborhoods.com | 802-864-9083

  _____

If you no longer wish to receive any email from the Planning Commissioners
Journal or PlannersWeb, please reply to this message with "No More Email" in
the subject line or simply click on the following link: No
<http://unsub.vresp.com/u.html?3396861a4c/521363fa39/fba0568> More Email

  _____

This message was sent by Planning Commissioners Journal using
VerticalResponse's iBuilder
<http://www.verticalresponse.com/landing/?mm/3396861a4c> R
	 <http://www.verticalresponse.com/landing/?mm/3396861a4c>
Planning Commissioners Journal