INC NEWS - Volunteers needed: Duke first-year student orientation (Aug 24)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 10:51:22 EDT 2005

Dear neighbor,

As you may know, OWDNA organizes some 18 volunteer
projects with Duke students each year. Right now, four
more Duke volunteer projects are in the works...

* Erwin Mill cemetery clean-up on Aug 17 (Project
Build/Dedicated to Durham),

* Pinhook/EK Powe Tributary clean-up on Aug 17
(Project Build/Dedicated to Durham),

* South Ellerbe Creek clean-up on Sept 3 (Pan-Hell),

* RR corridor clean-up on Sept 24 (Into the City).

You can see photos from past projects at
www.owdna.org/communityservice.htm

Below is a message from Josh Parker. Please consider
volunteering on August 24.

with appreciation,
John

***

Duke Students will be returning to campus soon and
there are several opportunities to get off on the
right foot and welcome them to Durham.

The Dean of Students office has put a great deal of
effort into emphasizing Durham during freshman
orientation this year (Entire Freshman class going to
Bulls game, party at American Tobacco, block party on
Ninth Street, and numerous other events and
information sessions).  I have had the pleasure of
working alongside them on several projects and I know
they have also been working closely with the Old West
Durham Neighborhood [for Ninth Street block party].
They have set a great example and commitment for
town-gown relations.

Several projects are planned to engage Duke Students
and Durham Community members together and more
information will follow as they approach.  However,
one project is upon us and we need volunteers!

Please read below and consider volunteering during a
shift to make a positive statement about Durham to new
Duke Students.

Duke Freshman Move-in Day
Wednesday, August 24, 2005
Two Shifts:
9:00am-11:00am
1:00pm-3:00pm

The purpose of this project is to have members of the
Durham Community on East Campus helping Freshman move
in so connections can be made and the Duke-Durham
experience is richer.  Traditionally, Duke employees
and other students have assisted new students and
families with moving in to dorms.  We'd like to add
members of the local community so that new students
meet people from the community on day one.  I think
you can imagine the benefits of developing town-gown
relationships on this grassroots level.  Oh and did I
mention you get a free t-shirt!

You can volunteer for one or both shifts.  Community
members will be in pairs at each building.  You will
also need to plan to attend a 30 minute training
session on Thursday, August 18 (there will be several
sessions, day and evening, times to follow).  The work
will not be very strenuous and it should be fun.

Please email me by August 15 with the shift you would
like to work. joshparker at nc.rr.com

Thanks!
-josh

Please feel free to forward to friends and other
lists.