INC NEWS - Report of 2005 Legislative Session

pat carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 11:11:49 EDT 2005

We asked members of the Durham delegation for their thoughts on the 2005
session.  We heard back from Senators Atwater and Lucas and Representative
Wilkins.

Senator Atwater asked us to share the following statement with you:

Dear Members of the InterNeighborhood Council:

I regret that I cannot join you in person for this informative meeting, but
I appreciate this opportunity to send you my best wishes and this session’s
legislative updates.  My first term as a Senator has been very positive.
While I only represent a small portion of Durham County, working with the
Durham delegation has been informative and empowering.  This is the type of
the teamwork that moves forward positive legislation.

I will begin by addressing our Durham Court System needs.  As many of you
are aware, Durham rests near the center of the judicial workload chart by
county, with approximately one district court judge and fourteen assistant
district attorneys for every 39,000 county citizens.  Should a bill on the
Governor’s DWI Taskforce recommendations become law, a reserve will be set
up to relieve additional strain on courts.  This is where I plan to once
again seek much needed assistance for our court system.

The legislature has recently passed what will prove to be a very fiscally
responsible budget, while remaining under the governor’s spending cap and
setting aside $200 million in the rainy day fund (for natural disaster or
economic downturn).  The budget increases funding in education, funds many
health care services for our children and seniors, as well as invests in new
job creation.  In the end, we were able to avoid large cuts to areas such as
teacher assistants and Medicaid service with strong negotiations based in
our values.  Overall, this budget will continue to boost North Carolina’s
economy.

While the budget process was at the center of recent legislative activity,
we also remained committed to our principles of public safety, economic
development, and education through other pieces of legislation.

	In the realm of public safety, funding has been set aside for DNA analysis,
a focus on methamphetamine and also computer/identity theft crimes.
Allocations have also been made to improve driver license security and
validation.  The legislature has increased penalties for Internet sexual
predators, as well as set aside $8 million for a statewide communications
system for our first responders.  I am also very hopeful that a bill
designed to address street gang violence becomes law with the appropriate
level of funding to make it affective.  The budget also provides $2 million
in grants for gang prevention initiatives, which will be available to the
state this year.

	The economy will benefit from legislation that will allow state government
to give preference to NC companies when considering bids.  Our minority
businesses will receive attention from the Department of Administration,
which will help certify many of these businesses.  New funding was allocated
to the One NC Fund and the Jobs Development Investment Grant program,
economic-growth tools that have created more than 25,000 new jobs since
2001.  Additionally, rural economic growth with receive $20 million; funds
for roads and clean-water infrastructure to help communities grow and
attract new employers.

	Education in NC will certainly receive a boost.  The budget sets aside $80
million to address deficits pointed out in the Leandro case, improve teacher
quality and resources, raise teacher pay and retention, fund enrollment
growth at our universities, as well as increase financial aid for our
college students with need.  The teacher shortage was also addressed and due
to two recent bills, our community colleges and qualified teachers from
other states will now provide added relief to this area of education.

	I am proud of the work done this session, but always seek to do more for
our area.  Our local officials and community leaders are continually at the
forefront of issues and I value these relationships.  As always please feel
free to contact me in regard to the aforementioned issues and any other
concerns that you may have.  I look forward to our future interactions.

Regards,

Senator Bob Atwater