[pac2] Re: INC NEWS - Herald Sun editorial

maryanne.mcdonald at mindspring.com maryanne.mcdonald at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 31 10:43:25 EDT 2005

A historical note on trash cans at the curb in OND--
When I first moved here in 1985 there weren't any trash cans left at the
curb, because the city picked up the trash and recycling in each ally
behind the houses.  I don't remember when they stopped this service, but I
would bet anything it was motivated by the desire to economize.  So, the
trash cans at the curb problem can be seen as a new development resulting
from reduced city services.
So, if the trash cans are that big a problem perhaps we should forget
trying to educate people to get them away from the curb and instead lobby
the city to reinstate ally trash pick up.  In general it is more effective
to change policy than to try to change individual behavior.
Mary Anne
maryanne.mcdonald at mindspring.com

north <oldnorthdurham at yahoogroups.com>; Ginny Skalski
<gskalski at heraldsun.com>; Reyn Bowman <Reyn at Durham-cvb.com>; City group
council <council at ci.durham.nc.us>; pac ii <pac2 at yahoogroups.com>
> [...]
> > the paper to let them know. Old North Durham cannot be alone in this,
> > because this issue far from started in Old North Durham.
> >
> > I have been trying at PAC II meetings for several months, and at every
> > small meeting I am in, to end the use of the word complaint. When I see
> > cart at curb and call the city to make a report of what I saw, I am not
> > filing a complaint. What I saw I reported on and that makes me a
> > reporter, and a much closer partner to the solution than a complainer
> > could ever be. Please work to end the use of 'complaint' in your
> > neighborhood.
> >
> > I also sent word to Ginny about carts that never leave the curb. The
> > Editorial suggested that they are left for days. In reality many of the
> > carts I counted have been curbside for years. My count was done on
> > Wednesday and the City did one on Monday. Our collection day is Friday.
> > Both counts were over 200 for about 1200 units. It was enough for me to
> > be a proactive partner with Solid Waste.
> >
> > The City is working on the data and is trying to come up with a list of
> > why people do this. The goal it to set up the best method of prevention.
> > I am so thankful for the Solid Waste Department partnership on this
> > issue. In particular the agreement we share that education seems to be
> > the tool with the most effect.
> >
> > A large portion of the Editorial was dedicated to people being
overtaxed.
> > Fees are just another way of saying taxes, while fines imply that the
> > person earned the right to pay them separate of any tax burden. Working
> > to clarify these would have been a great help. The City staff hope is
> > that a system with clear fines available will result in not one single
> > charge. The fines being a last resort after repeated contacts have
proved
> > futile. Thanks also to Ginny for clearly stating once on Monday that
> > fines may need to be considered for 'chronic offenders'.
> >
> > After several years of working with different partners on this issue, I
> > was discouraged by the Editorial tone. I look forward to future reports,
> > from Ginny, about changes in the current methods we as neighborhoods and
> > City deal with carts being left as hazard and eyesore at curbside.
> >
> > I am also thankful to Bob Ashley for being available to talk about this
> > with me. He and I both look forward to people giving feedback on this
> > issue. Please let the paper know how you feel. For me there are several
> > other issues more important, but this one should not be overlooked or
> > trivialized.
> >
> > Richard Mullinax
> > 921 N Mangum St
> > 680-3883

> DonorsChoose.org helps at-risk students succeed. Fund a student project
today!
> http://us.click.yahoo.com/O4u7KD/FpQLAA/E2hLAA/aRSolB/TM
>
> ***
>
> The opinions expressed herein represent the views of the individual and
do not necessarily represent the views of Partners Against Crime - District
II (PAC2) or any other organization. Any use of the material on this
listserv other than for the purpose of discussion on this listserv is
strictly prohibited without the knowledge and consent of the person
responsible for such opinion.

> ***
>
> For more information: http://www.pac2durham.com;
> to post message: pac2 at yahoogroups.com;
>
> *** Neighbors and friends: in order to keep traffic on this list focused
on crime prevention, please do not post virus warnings or personal replies
to this list. Thanks! ***